Old November 12th 03, 07:47 AM
Hank Oredson

"charlesb" wrote in message
y.com...

"TC" wrote in message
That leads to another question how do you elect yourself as a new
coordinator and what does a coordinator do and all that jazz?

Make up an IP number for yourself and hey presto! You're a coordinator!

The people who used to take care of this do not care any more, so just make
something up and go. Who will ever know the difference? You might get one,
maybe two other hams to play with this stuff, so it's not like you have to
worry about causing any trouble with your AMPR station or the addresses you
make up. Just stay off of the regular packet frequencies and you won't
bother anybody or interrupt anything important.

We have tried for six years to get the "official hosts list" at UCSD fixed.
So far no result. So we just started over and assign our own addresses
out of net 44.116. The coordinator for that net block will occasionally
answer email requests, but has not yet managed to get any updates into
the system ...except the first one just over six years ago. We now have
something like 50 hosts online, spread over 11 subnets. The official
list is useless, and I've been unable to get any response at all from Brian.
Yes, we run our own DNS, since the official one is useless.

the official list contains addresses for dead people, people who moved out
of the area 15 years ago, people who changed callsign, and about 100
people who obtained addresses long ago and never got on packet :-)

So pick addresses from the correct net block and use 'em.

Maybe someday someone else will take over the administration
of net 44 and then the official DNS might become useful again.

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old November 12th 03, 08:14 AM
Gene Storey

"Hank Oredson" wrote

We have tried for six years to get the "official hosts list" at UCSD fixed.
So far no result. So we just started over and assign our own addresses
out of net 44.116.

While any address will do, the only real reason for using 44 net is if you
want to route with other 44 net folks. Most of these have disbanded.

In the link we made after AMPR Net died, we just used 10 Net for WAN
addresses, and 192.168 for LAN addresses, and shared the 10 net host
file (no WAN DNS was used).

The coordinator for that net block will occasionally
answer email requests, but has not yet managed to get any updates into
the system ...except the first one just over six years ago. We now have
something like 50 hosts online, spread over 11 subnets. The official
list is useless, and I've been unable to get any response at all from Brian.
Yes, we run our own DNS, since the official one is useless.

Heck, he must be either dead, or old enough to be in a home somewhere.

the official list contains addresses for dead people, people who moved out
of the area 15 years ago, people who changed callsign, and about 100
people who obtained addresses long ago and never got on packet :-)

Same deal across the US. The only thing running is the UCSD scripts
which the school probably doesn't even know exists.

So pick addresses from the correct net block and use 'em.

Maybe someday someone else will take over the administration
of net 44 and then the official DNS might become useful again.

I would recommend the 10 net and 192.168 nets for just about any
endeavor today. The number of 10 Net hosts (HF and VHF ports mostly)
could be done using a shared /etc/hosts file.

I'm wondering if the new AOR Fast Radio Modem could be used for
a nice 2400 baud links on HF? Voice and data in one box!

Old November 12th 03, 08:15 PM
Hank Oredson

"Gene Storey" wrote in message
"Hank Oredson" wrote

We have tried for six years to get the "official hosts list" at UCSD fixed.
So far no result. So we just started over and assign our own addresses
out of net 44.116.

While any address will do, the only real reason for using 44 net is if you
want to route with other 44 net folks. Most of these have disbanded.

Um ... we ARE the "... other 44 net folks."
There is also activity nearby in 44.26, 44.12, 44.24.

In the link we made after AMPR Net died, we just used 10 Net for WAN
addresses, and 192.168 for LAN addresses, and shared the 10 net host
file (no WAN DNS was used).

Our interests are a bit larger scale :-)

[...]

Why not use 44? Then you can link with other tcp/ip systems nearby.

Old November 13th 03, 02:46 AM
Gene Storey

"Bob Nielsen" wrote

Perhaps DHCP?

I don't think so Bob. Basically you send out your MAC address and
it sends back an IP, but I think the delay would be too great for even
9600 simplex (plus separated LAN's). Just guessing.