Old November 17th 03, 10:03 PM
Ken

Default KAM XL TNC locks my handheld PC

I am trying to use a KAM XL with my MobilePro MP780 handheld PC
("HPC") running Microsoft Terminal under Windows CE 2.11. Both
devices are DCE and I am using a null modem cable.

The HPC freezes up as soon as I power up on the KAM XL and will not
unfreeze until I power the KAM XL down or disconnect the devices.

The same arrangement works OK with a KAM98.

Kantronics says both TNC's manage their RS-232 computer port the same
way. I know that this is incorrect because my breakout box shows
two different dances with the two different modems -- but nothing I
can interpret.

Anyone else encounter this lock-up situation and find a fix? Any
suggestions?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old December 9th 03, 12:49 AM
Ken

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:03:03 GMT, Ken wrote:
I am trying to use a KAM XL with my MobilePro MP780 handheld PC
("HPC") running Microsoft Terminal under Windows CE 2.11. Both
devices are DCE and I am using a null modem cable.

The HPC freezes up as soon as I power up on the KAM XL and will not
unfreeze until I power the KAM XL down or disconnect the devices.

Problem solved: The KAM XL does not energize any RS-232 pins on power
up. This befuddles the HPC. Moreover, the HPC energizes DCD when it
opens its serial port, but DCD is not carried in a null modem cable --
so the KAM XL doesn't see DCD from the HPC. I wired a custom null
modem cable with DCD carried straight through. This works OK.

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)