RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   irlp (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/8224-irlp.html)

larry December 10th 03 04:35 PM

irlp

Greetings again

Maybe I am just not reading the instructions correctly but do you need a
special board pluged into your computer to simply listen to a repeater on
the network?

Larry ve3fxq

charlesb December 11th 03 03:32 PM

"larry" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
Greetings again

Maybe I am just not reading the instructions correctly but do you need a
special board pluged into your computer to simply listen to a repeater on
the network?

The main thing Larry, is that you have to have a special lack of
intelligence that allows you to get on the Internet and call it "Ham Radio"
just because some moron has hooked his radio up to the Internet.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Keyboard In The Wilderness December 11th 03 05:38 PM

In general NO -- computers with the Sound Blaster cards or equivalent --
work just fine.

--
73 From The Wilderness Keyboard

Traveler December 11th 03 07:47 PM

Charles,

I see that you don't much care for progress....or are you just always
ornery...bet those who used smoke signals felt the same way when more modern
forms of communication came along.

Ray
WA0LQT
"charlesb" wrote in message
om...

Hank Oredson December 11th 03 09:26 PM

I really do get a kick out of those who think that
NOT using radio is somehow progress in the USE of radio!

The display of ignorance is quite amazing.

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

"Traveler" wrote in message
Charles,

I see that you don't much care for progress....or are you just always
ornery...bet those who used smoke signals felt the same way when more modern
forms of communication came along.

Ray
WA0LQT
"charlesb" wrote in message
om...

Dr. A.T. Squeegee December 12th 03 01:08 AM

In article ,
says...

Charles,

I see that you don't much care for progress....or are you just always
ornery...bet those who used smoke signals felt the same way when more modern
forms of communication came along.

snippety

As ornery as Charles' reply was (yes, it could have been phrased
much better) he does have one valid point: 'Internet' and 'Ham Radio'
are two entirely different mediums. Always have been, always will be.

IRLP, as I see it, is just a way to get repeater linking done
independent of the restrictions of site-based link transceivers. After
all, the 'L' in IRLP does stand for 'Linking.'

In short: IRLP has its uses, but it will never replace true radio
work.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)