Old April 20th 04, 07:56 PM
DoDo

Default How to get 1278 in KISS

Hi There,

I want to use my MFJ 1278 DSP for APRS...

Now I need to get my MFJ 1278 DSP in the KISS mode..

Does anyone know HOW ??????

I tried allmost everything, but I can't get it working..

TNX PA3DWC, Gerrit

Old April 20th 04, 08:40 PM
John

"DoDo" wrote in message
.nl...
Hi There,

I want to use my MFJ 1278 DSP for APRS...

Now I need to get my MFJ 1278 DSP in the KISS mode..

Does anyone know HOW ??????

I tried allmost everything, but I can't get it working..

TNX PA3DWC, Gerrit

I don't have a 1278 but I do have a 1274.

The procedure to put it in KISS mode is:

KISS ON
RESTART

The CON and STA leds will flash three times.

To get it out of KISS mode
if running the KA9Q TCP/IP package the command

param ax0 255

will exit KISS mode.

if not running KA9Q

The following three bytes

$C0 $FF $C0

must be sent to the TNC to exit kiss mode.

Also disconnecting external power and the internal
battery and waiting several minutes will exit KISS mode.

73 de wa3tsw, John

Old April 21st 04, 01:23 AM
Mark S.

DoDo wrote rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc on Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:56:20 +
0200, the following...
Hi There,

I want to use my MFJ 1278 DSP for APRS...

Now I need to get my MFJ 1278 DSP in the KISS mode..

Does anyone know HOW ??????

I tried allmost everything, but I can't get it working..

TNX PA3DWC, Gerrit

MFJ-1278B Chapter 6 COMMANDS

KISS ONIOPF Mode: Packet Default: OFF

The KISS interface is installed in firmware of the MFJ-
1278B. KISS enables the MFJ-1278B to act as a modem for a
host computer. Turning KISS on allows the MFJ-1278B to run
programs such as TCP/IP and other programs which use
the Serial Link Interface Protocol (SLIP).

Before enabling KISS, make sure radio baud rate and terminal
baud rate are set to the desired values. The terminals
baud rate that's determined at sign on is the same that will
be used for KISS.

once the operating parameters have been selected, set KISS
ON and then issue a RESTART command. The CON and STA LEDs
will blink on and off three times to indicate that the MFJ-
1278B has entered the KISS mode. Now you may call up a
TCP/IP, or another host program that can use KISS or "SLIP".

If you are using the KA7Q TCP/IP program and wish to switch
to the AX.25 mode of operation, you can issue the command:
param axO 255, then press "RETURN". This command must be
issued under TCP/IP "net" prompt and in lower case letters.

Once the MFJ-1278B receives the "param axO 25511 command, it
turns KISS off and will revert back to ordinary AX.25 mode
of operation. When the MFJ-1278B is powered on again, it
will sign on to the AX.25 operation mode.

If KISS is turned on and you have problem revert the MFJ-
1278B back to normal AX.25 operation with the above
procedure, you can also turn KISS off by removing JMP5 on
the mother board. Reinstall JMP5 after a few minutes.

This is all I know. Hope it helps.

Mark S