Old November 29th 04, 01:43 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Default DX Contest Funnies

A few interesting things noted during this weekend's CQ WW CW...

- A few weeks ago in the Phone Sweepstakes I worked WW0WWW. Figured
"this guy *must* be a phone op, no self-respecting CW ham would pick a
call like that!"

Guess who called me on 20 meters CW this morning?!

- M0O.

- Has Finland invaded Argentina? An OH3 station sent me Zone 13; when I
questioned him on it, he insisted he was in Zone 13. OK, if that's what
he sends then I guess that's what I'll log...

- Scores I had at some point during the contest:
69696
257752
363636
589589
909090

There should be a special certificate for submitting a palindromic score.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old November 29th 04, 04:35 AM
Derek Wills

- Has Finland invaded Argentina? An OH3 station sent me Zone 13; when I
questioned him on it, he insisted he was in Zone 13. OK, if that's what
he sends then I guess that's what I'll log...

EA8ZS was sending Zone 44 on some bands, all weekend!

I posted it a few times, adding "Rare Zone 44", and people told
me he is in 33. Well, I know dat!!

So if you log 33, you should lose points. If you log 44, your
computer probably crashed.

Derek aa5bt

Old November 29th 04, 02:32 PM
Peter Lemken

Derek Wills wrote:
EA8ZS was sending Zone 44 on some bands, all weekend!

Nope. He was sending "VV" which is the braindead equivalent to "33"

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Toleranz, das war doch diese resultierende Verhaltensweise, wenn man sich
zwischen Abscheu und Mitleid nicht entscheiden kann.

(Andreas Kroschel in de.alt.talk.unmut)

Old November 29th 04, 02:46 PM
John Passaneau

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
[...]

During the PAQSO party I had 57 stations give there serial number as "13"
the most hits on a single number other than "1". Very strange, as I was born
on Friday the 13th and I'm having surgery next month on 13th.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Penn State University

Old November 29th 04, 05:17 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Bill Turner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:43:45 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

- Scores I had at some point during the contest:
69696
257752
363636
589589
909090

There should be a special certificate for submitting a palindromic score.

Only the first two are palindromes, but I enjoyed the post anyway. Now
I'm going to be watching my scores, too.

Yeah, I realized that. (actually I didn't notice the first score *was*
a palindrome!) I just thought the other three were *interesting*!

Old November 29th 04, 11:02 PM
Derek Wills

EA8ZS was sending Zone 44 on some bands, all weekend!

Nope. He was sending "VV" which is the braindead equivalent to "33"

Ah, I wondered about that - I just heard a bunch of dots
and a dash at the end :-) Hardly worth shortening it
that much, really. HC8N was sending ENNAT, which is
much less ambiguous. Oh well, I'll count the dots more
carefully next time!

Derek aa5bt