Old January 26th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default Ø How to make them for call signs

Google to the rescue for Ø

Also Ñ ± ¶ and lots more

See URL:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Ø is really a Nordic O slash. For a true slashed zero -- see URL:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Slashed_zero

The slashed zero looks just like a regular letter 'O' or number '0' (zero),
but it has a slash through it. Unlike the Scandinavian vowel 'Ø' and the
"empty set" symbol '?', the slash touches the walls of the surrounding O
shape but does not extend past them on the outside.

More on slashed zeros at URL:
http://www.eham.net/forums/ComputersAndSoftware/1

In Ham work I use the Nordic O Ø for call signs, but be aware this can
goof up some logging programs

CL

Old January 27th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Caveat Lector wrote:
Google to the rescue for Ø

Also Ñ ± ¶ and lots more

See URL:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Ø is really a Nordic O slash. For a true slashed zero -- see URL:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Slashed_zero

The slashed zero looks just like a regular letter 'O' or number '0'

(zero),
but it has a slash through it. Unlike the Scandinavian vowel 'Ø' and the
"empty set" symbol '?', the slash touches the walls of the surrounding O
shape but does not extend past them on the outside.

More on slashed zeros at URL:
http://www.eham.net/forums/ComputersAndSoftware/1

In Ham work I use the Nordic O Ø for call signs, but be aware this

can
goof up some logging programs

CL

I use Terminal font (included with Microshaft Windoze since dirt was new) --
no extra keystrokes needed, and it imports/exports w/o issues. Fixedsys also
offers a slashed zero, though the representation is better, in Termainal
font.

Bryan WA7PRC

Old January 27th 07, 09:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

In message , Caveat Lector
writes
Google to the rescue for Ø

Also Ñ ± ¶ and lots more

See URL:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Ø is really a Nordic O slash. For a true slashed zero -- see URL:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Slashed_zero

The slashed zero looks just like a regular letter 'O' or number '0' (zero),
but it has a slash through it. Unlike the Scandinavian vowel 'Ø' and the
"empty set" symbol '?', the slash touches the walls of the surrounding O
shape but does not extend past them on the outside.

More on slashed zeros at URL:
http://www.eham.net/forums/ComputersAndSoftware/1

In Ham work I use the Nordic O Ø for call signs, but be aware this can
goof up some logging programs

CL

Thanks, All useful info.
However, what I really need is a symbol for the letter 'O'. I have
problems with my callsign, and, as I use my callsign in my e-mail
address, I suspect that a lot of the time I fail to receive mails
intended for me. At least one professional organisation has it as
'g30ohx'. Despite occasional repeated requests to correct it, it remains
the same.
Ian.

Old January 28th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

Hi guy's,
This is a well known problem and unfortunately a presentation problem
(i.e. font problem).
Why would I like to change font?
Because;
In a presentation, e.g. mail or log application, it is almost impossible
to differentiate between e.g. SO2R and S02R (Sierra Oscar Two
Romeo = Poland and Sierra Zero Two Romeo = West Sahara).

This can be fixed by typing a different character (e.g. the scandinavian
vowel Ø), the slashed zero, but that will mess up export files (ADIF
etc.) because it uses a different ASCII code (hexadecimal value). To
create the slashed zero you can press and hold ALT while typing 0216,
but it will create a different hexadecimal value for that character and
mess upp exports and ADIF files.

There is anonter way to fix this (mainly screen/print problem) and that
is to use adifferent font where the display bitmap is showing the
slashed zero for the normal zero ASCII value. There are some useful, ham
radio designed, alternative fonts that would give you; SO2R and SØ2R as
a result without changing the value of the character, e.g. Anadale Mono
(mono spaced font, I'm using Anadale Mono
in my DX-cluster window, it's just great...) and Ham (looks like Arial).
You can find these fonts and a lot of other Ham fonts if you look at
http://www.k8zt.com/zero.html.
But to be able to fix this, it must be possible to set the font in the
application you use.
Either as a default for all windows within the application or window by
window (I prefer the first alternative).
Yes, you can change the default for Windows, but you probably don't want
this to be changed for "all" your applications.

Hans - SMØIMJ

Old July 8th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
Google to the rescue for Ø

Also Ñ ± ¶ and lots more

See URL:
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/i...s/codealt.html

Ø is really a Nordic O slash. For a true slashed zero -- see URL:
http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Slashed_zero

The slashed zero looks just like a regular letter 'O' or number '0'
(zero), but it has a slash through it. Unlike the Scandinavian vowel 'Ø'
and the "empty set" symbol '?', the slash touches the walls of the
surrounding O shape but does not extend past them on the outside.

More on slashed zeros at URL:
http://www.eham.net/forums/ComputersAndSoftware/1

In Ham work I use the Nordic O Ø for call signs, but be aware this can
goof up some logging programs

CL

Check the "System" font in start/run/charmap: Ø
It's a basic font that should be available on most systems. If it doesn't
work with "System" font, I don't know what to tell you. (Notice there's no
ALT + # code for Ø, even with System).
-Mindraker