Old June 21st 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default Radio for VHF UHF weak signal DX

Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for weak
signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Old June 21st 08, 10:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for
weak signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Groundhog day??

Jeff

And your point is ?

I know I posted the same question recently, recived only 1 reply stating I
had posted in RTF - which was a mistake on my part
I have checked on my server and can no longer find the post or any connected
thread so have poised the question again.

So what do you use for weak signal DX on VHF / UHF then or ar you not
interested in radio ?

Old June 21st 08, 11:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for
weak signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Groundhog day??

Jeff

And your point is ?

I know I posted the same question recently, recived only 1 reply stating I
had posted in RTF - which was a mistake on my part
I have checked on my server and can no longer find the post or any
connected thread so have poised the question again.

So what do you use for weak signal DX on VHF / UHF then or ar you not
interested in radio ?

Well I replied to your first post and there were at least 6 other replies
that I saw in uk.r.a!!

73
Jeff

Old June 21st 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

In message , Jeff
writes

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for
weak signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Groundhog day??

Jeff

And your point is ?

I know I posted the same question recently, recived only 1 reply stating I
had posted in RTF - which was a mistake on my part
I have checked on my server and can no longer find the post or any
connected thread so have poised the question again.

So what do you use for weak signal DX on VHF / UHF then or ar you not
interested in radio ?

Well I replied to your first post and there were at least 6 other replies
that I saw in uk.r.a!!

73
Jeff

Yes, your question appeared on 15 June. There were several replies (and
none of the usual crap).

Maybe you are having the same problem which I get occasionally, where
some postings fail to appear or, if they do, show up as 'expired' (a
black dot with Demon's Turnpike threaded structure). This sometimes
happens even with my own postings, even though I have set the expiry
time for most NGs to 8 days.

If I suspect that some interesting postings are missing, I can usually
retrieve them by re-setting the collection time for that particular NG
to a few days ago.
--
Ian

Old June 21st 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Jeff" wrote in message
. com...

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for
weak signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Groundhog day??

Jeff

------------

Before I left NJ, USA in 98, the activity on VHF/UHF had nearly disappeared,
except for a few diehards with their own repeaters. I hardly ever heard
anyone on USB or CW on six meters, two meters and upwards.

Now that I'm down south in GA, near Chattanooga, TN, it is the same way. Ten
years later and no rise in activity on VHF/UHF. It's very disappointing for
me. I enjoyed the higher average IQ of the operators that I used to find on
VHF/UHF.

I presently own a Yaesu FT-847 and a few single band radios for VHF/UHF. A
Yaesu FT-690R MII, an ICOM 229H (actually a couple) and an el cheapo 220 MHz
rig, whose brand I can't remember. There is a fair amount of activity on 220
MHz down here, but it is all via repeater.

Ed, NM2K

Old June 21st 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Martin g1gyc" wrote in message
Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for weak
signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

Probably not the radio, but having a good preamp at the antenna.

Most areas have so little activity that selectivity is not that much of an
issue except maybe two weekends a year for the contests. The noise floor
should be set by the preamp near the antenna.

Old June 21st 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur
Joe Joe is offline

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 08:52:08 +0100, "Martin g1gyc" wrote:

Hello,

What is the current thinking of which radio is currently the best for weak
signal VHF / UHF DX working ?

Any one care to comment ?

The best is a high quality HF radio (K3, Orion-II, FT9000, IC7700, 7800) followed by a
DB6NT transverter. Or even nicer: a SDR with transverter. There are not many serious
radio's left with VHF/UHF. Only one I know of is the IC910H. I am still using my trusty
FT736 and am having a ball with it... If you can find one - or something else especially
with a Mutek go for it!

But since you are in G, check and ask on the ON4KST website www.on4kst.com/chat and select
the frequency your interested in. Often between 100-200+ stations per band chat Ask for
some opinions there.

No VHF/UHF is not dead but it has definitely changed in the past 6 or so years...
Old June 23rd 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Don't you just love the inspirational zeal of the American missionary.

Brothers and sisters, I feel the urge to plant a fiery cross in
someone's front lawn.

Nick.

could we just go for a head? ........