Old December 22nd 16, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Streaming my next General Class course

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Streaming my next General Class course

On Saturday, January 7, 2017, Im going to startÂ*teaching an 8-10 week
General Class course here in Ann Arbor. The classes are going to run from
10 am noon, and will probably run through the end of March. (Im teaching a
one-day Tech class on Saturday, January 21, so well be off that day.) If
youre in or near Ann Arbor, MI, and are interested in taking the class, you
can get more information here.

Im going to try something a little different with this class. I think that
Im going to try to stream it. Ive never done this before, but Im not
breaking new ground here, so I dont doubt that it will be at least somewhat
successful. The CWOps run their CW Academy via Skype, and are very
successful with it, so I think that I should be, too.

The first thing I need to do is to choose a streaming service. Skype is an
option. Another is oovoo. Oovoo lets you video chat with up to 12 people.
If youve used other video streaming services, please let me know. At this
point, Im leaning towards oovoo.

When I mentioned that I was thinking of doing this on the Ham Radio
Instructors Yahoo group, one guy mentioned that I should make sure that I
pay attention to the audio quality. I hadnt really thought about that, but
hes right, of course. What good is streaming a class if no one can hear the
instructor properly?

So, I turned to Amazon to see if I could find anything useful. One thing
that came up was theÂ*Pyle-Pro PDWM96 Lavalier Wireless Microphone System.
At $12.50, you cant beat the price, but the receiver comes with a 1/4-in.
phone plug, and to connect that to a computer would require an adapter.
Kind of kludgey.

So, I turned to Twitter, and Cale, K4CDN, the HamRadio360 podcaster,Â*came
through for me. He called on his podcasting buddies, who suggested
theÂ*Samson SWXPD1BLM5 Stage XPD1 Presentation USB Digital Wireless System.
At $100, its a bit more than what I wanted to spend, but other alternatives
seemed to cost as much or more, so I guess that Im just being a cheap ham.
Besides, if this works out, I could consider streaming my one-day Tech
classes, too.

So, Im going to try to test this all out next Tuesday (12/27) evening at
2330Z from the space where Ill be teaching the class. If any of you would
like to be on the other end of the video stream, let me know, and well try
to hook you up.

The post Streaming my next General Class course appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.