Old March 23rd 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Clothespin keyer gives Boy Scouts a taste of ham radio

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Clothespin keyer gives Boy Scouts a taste of ham radio

A week ago, Mike, WH6YH, ordered one of my One-Day Tech Class DVDs. He
wrote:

Gave an overview of CW to Boy Scout Troop 88, Savannah, GA last week and
spoke to thisÂ*great hobby. I will donate this to help water that planted
seed. 73, Mike WH6YH

Yesterday, he heard me calling CQ on 30m and answered my call. He filled me
in a little more about the presentation he gave and described the
clothespin keys that he made for the kids. I asked him to send me a picture
(shown below).

In his email, he described the key and his experience with the kids in more
detail:

Hi Dan,
I passed these out to Boy Scout Troop 88 in Savannah, GA as gift during the
Intro to Morse Code a couple weeks ago. Total costs about $5 for 10
straight keys as I purchased the magnetic resonator and coin cell holder on
eBay china, both 3v. One can even purchase the CR2032 battery there as
well, but plan ahead as it takes a couple weeks to arrive. Cannot go wrong
with the cost of goods onÂ*eBay these days!
Â*I used clothes pins, some old thumb tacks, and a little hook up wire, and
soldered everything in place for sturdy, kid-friendly use! The flat wood on
the bottom is part of a free paint stirring stick from HD or Lowes. I cut
it to length and super gluedÂ*the clothes pinÂ*to it to prevent the key from
moving while sending.Â*
The kids and parents were amazed to see something made with inexpensive
parts. The parents wanted to pay me for the keys, but these were so cheap,
I just let them have them. I consider this public license and free for
others to use in their presentations.

These are so cool I might make up a few myself and pass them out at the
MakerFaires and other events where I do CW presentations.

The post Clothespin keyer gives Boy Scouts a taste of ham radio appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.