Old June 22nd 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Marijas results in the 2017 VK Shires Contest

vk5pas

Marijas results in the 2017 VK Shires Contest

https://vk5pas.org/2017/06/21/marija...hires-contest/

Following up on my previous post, Ive now completed Marijas log for the
2017 VK Shires Contest. Â*This was Marijas first ever Contest.

Marija ended up with 78 QSOs and 62 different Shires & 1 Zone. Â*Her claimed
score is 4,914 points in the Single Op All Band Rover section.

Marija activated the following shires during the contest:-

Grant District Council – GD5 (Telford Scrub Conservation Park & Lower
Glenelg River Conservation Park)
Glenelg Shire Council – GL3 (Lower Glenelg National Park, VICTORIA)

The graph below shows Marijas activity during the contest.

Not a bad effort at all considering Marijas legitimate 10 watts PEP, her
first contest, and challenging band conditions. Â*WELL DONE.

2017 VK Shires Contest

https://vk5pas.org/2017/06/21/2017-vk-shires-contest/

I have finalised my log for the 2017 VK Shires Contest. Â*I entered into the
Single Op All Band Rover section. Â*I activated the following shires during
the contest:-

Grant District Council GD5 (Telford Scrub Conservation Park & Lower
Glenelg River Conservation Park)
City of Mount Gambier Council MG5 (in Mount Gambier)
Glenelg Shire Council GL3 (Lower Glenelg National Park, VICTORIA)

I ended up with a total of 193 QSOs. Â*I worked a total of 151 different
Shires and two Zones. Â*My claimed score is 29,529 points.

The band conditions were quite challenging at times during the contest,
with close in propagation being non existant at times.

I ran my normal portable station for the contest, consisting of Yaesu
FT-857d, 40 watts, and a 20/40/80m linked dipole, inverted vee, supported
on a 7m telescopic heavy duty squid pole.

I was active from around 0714 UTC on Saturday 10h June in the Telford Scrub
Conservation Park, just north of Mount Gambier. Â*This is located in the
Grant District Council area. Â*I activated the park for around 2 hours & 15
minutes, making a total of 79 contacts on 40m SSB & 80m SSB. Â*Marija
VK5FMAZ was also with me and spent a little bit of time on air making some
contacts for the contest. Â*In the end it got just too cold for us in the
park, so we headed into Mount Gambier to buy some tea. Â*I made a handful
(6) of contacts whilst in Mount Gambier.

Then on Sunday morning, 11th June, Marija and I headed to the Lower Glenelg
River Conservation Park situated right on the VK5/VK3 border. Â*This is also
located in the Grant District Council area. Â*I was on air from around 0016
UTC until 0151 UTC and made a total of 44 contacts for the Contest. Â*Plus a
few double ups for those I had worked the day before, but who wanted to log
the park. Â* Marija also qualified the park and made a number of contacts
for the contest.

We then crossed the border into Victoria and activated the Lower Glenelg
National Park which was located in Glenelg Shire Council (GL3). Â*I made a
total of 65 contacts on 40m SSB & 20m SSB. Â*Marija also qualified the park
for both the WWFF global program and also VKFF, and also the Keith Roget
Memorial National Parks Award.

Below is a graph (from VK Contest Logger) which shows my activity. Â*From
around 0714 UTC on Saturday for a bit over 2 hours. Â*And then again on
Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon.

The vast majority of my contacts were made on SSB on the 40m band a total
of 155 QSOs.

The graph below shows my activity on the 40m band where I made a total of
155 QSOs.

The graph below shows my activity on the 80m band where I made a total of
35 QSOs.

And just 3 QSOs on the 20m band on SSB. Â*Conditions on 20m were extremely
poor.

Last year I made a total of 156 QSOs with 16,704 points and came first in
the Rover section. Â*This year I made an additional 33 contacts on top of
last year. Â*Ill be keen to see the results for this years contest.

I will tally up Marijas contest QSOs and place another post once I have
completed her log.