Old November 13th 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VK5PAS] Kattyoong Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2346

vk5pas

Kattyoong Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2346

https://vk5pas.org/2019/11/12/kattyo...rve-vkff-2346/

It was now day two (Sunday 10th November 2019) of our trip to Victoria for
the 2019 KRMNPA Activation Weekend.Â* Our plan was to activate two Flora &
Fauna Reserves for WWFF, and then activate the Wyperfeld National Park for
the KRMNPA weekend.

Our first park for the day was the Kattyoong Flora and Fauna Reserve
VKFF-2346.Â* The park is located about 13 km north of the little town of
Torrita on the Mallee Highway in north-western Victoria.

This was the first time that the park had been activated.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Kattyoong Flora and Fauna Reserve
in north-western Victoria.Â* Map courtesy of Protected Planet.

After leaving the cabin at the caravan park we headed to the Cobb & Co Cafe
in Murrayville for some breakfast.Â* Whenever we are in the area we always
stop here.Â* It is good food and good coffee.Â* The owner is friendly and
coincidentally his two sons live in our home town of Mount Barker.
Above:- Marija enjoying some breakfast at the Cobb and Co Cafe at
Murrayville.

We left Murrayville after breakfast and headed east on the Mallee Highway.Â*
Our first stop was the little town of Cowangie.Â* If you are travelling
along the Mallee Highway, take the time to detour into this little town.Â*
Cowangie is the birthplace of motorsport legend Larry Perkins.Â* He is a
former racing driver and V8 Supercar team owner.

The Cowangie Post Office opened in July 1912 and was originally known as
Kow Plains until 1913.Â* The Post Office closed in 1994, and not much else
remains in Cowangie from its heyday.Â* The nearby Kopw Plains homestead is
well worth a visit.Â* However, we did not do that on this trip as we have
visited there previously.
Above:- an old shop in the main street of Cowangie.

One of the buildings worthwhile having a look at whilst in Cowangie is the
old Bush Nursing cottage.Â* At a meeting of the Cowangie Bush Nursing Centre
in August 1917, it was moved that a two-roomed stone cottage be erected so
the nurse could live in more comfort and afford privacy to patients.Â* The
cottage was completed in 1918.Â* The Cowangie Bush Nurse Centre ceased
operation in 1924.

Another interesting place is the Cowangie Bakery which opened in 1912.Â* The
bakery closed in 1952 and in 2001 was restored.

We left Cowangie and continued east on the Mallee Highway, stopping briefly
to have a look at the lone grave for a railway worker.Â* The grave which is
located in the middle of nowhere is marked on the Mallee Highway.

The highway was quite busy with trucks as this is the main highway between
Adelaide and Sydney.

We then stopped briefly at the small town of Underbool.Â* The town name is
thought to come from theÂ*GermanÂ*wordÂ*underboltÂ*given to it by surveyor Dr
Neumayer when he camped there in October 1861.Â* A post office opened on 15
July 1912 when a regular mail service was provided by the opening of the
railway from Ouyen toÂ*MurrayvilleÂ*a month earlier.Â* In 1913 a school and
public hall were built, while in 1917 a Bush Nursing Centre was
established.Â* By 1918 there were numerous stores and business in Underbool.

The Underbool Hotel was built in 1925 and boasted a large formal dining
room, public bar, pool room and accommodation.Â* Sadly it closed in December
2016.
Above:- The old Undeerbool Hotel.

There are a few things of interest in the town.Â* One of those being an old
mallee scrub roller which was made from a large steam engine boiler with a
heavy timber framework attached.Â* It was used to clear the mallee scrub and
was adapted to be used behind a crawler tractor.Â* It was in use until the
early 1960s.

The Pioneer and Early Settler Memorial is inÂ*honour of the pioneers of the
district.Â* There is also a replica of the train used by Sailor Salt Co. to
transport salt from Lake Becking to the Linga Railway Station in the 1920s.

You can also view Underbools police cells that were decommissioned in 2002.

We continued on to the little town of Torrita (dont blink, you will miss
it) and then turned left onto Stones Road and then right onto Cheesmans
Road and then left onto Cooke Road.Â* The park is located at the corner of
Cooke Road and Joyce Road.Â* It is not be confused with the Kattyoong
Bushland Reserve which is located nearby.
Above:- An aerial view of Kattyoong Flora & Fauna Reserve, with the
Kattyoong Bushland Reserve close by.Â* Image courtesy of Google maps

The Kattyoong Flora and Fauna Reserve is 39 acres in size and was
established in 1990.Â* It comprises typing mallee scrub.

During our visit to the park, we observed numerous Rainbow Bee Eaters.Â*
They areÂ* a strikingly brilliant bird.Â* Rainbow bee-eaters mostly eat
flying insects, but, as their name implies, they have a real taste forÂ*bees.

Marija and I could not find a suitable access point into the park on Cooke
Road.Â* We did, however, find a 4WD track leading into the park on Joyce
Road.Â* There was plenty of room to string out the 20/40/80m dipole antenna.
Above:- An aerial view of the Kattyoong Flora & Fauna Reserve showing our
operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Protected Planet.

As this was a Sunday morning, the broadcasts for the Wireless Institute of
Australia (WIA) were in full swing, so I was not able to get onto 7.144.Â* I
found 7.120 clear and started calling CQ.Â* Â*Ken VK3ALA was first in the
log, followed by Tony VK5TT with an exceptionally strong signal, and then
Mark VK3PI.

My fourth contact was a Park to Park contact with Peter VK3ZPF/p who was in
the Dandenong Ranges National Park VKFF-0132.Â* Scott VK4CZ became my 10th
contact, thus qualifying the park for me for VKFF.Â* Â*I then logged David
VK5DG/3 who was in the Coopcrambra National Park VKFF-0113.

Sadly I started to experience QRM from a VK4 station who came up on
frequency, unannounced, and started calling CQ DX.Â* Despite being told by
numerous stations that the frequency was in use, he continued to call CQ
DX.Â* I apologise to anyone who was calling who I missed, as the
interference was strong.

I persevered and eventually, he got the message and moved off frequency.Â* I
logged a total of 30 stations including three further Park to Park contacts
with Peter VK3PF in the Chiltern Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620, and
Joe VK3YSP/p & Julie VK3FOWL/p in the Brisbane Ranges National Park
VKFF-0055.

I then swapped the mic with Marija.

Marijas first contacts were with Joe VK3YSP/p and Julie VK3FOWL/p who were
in the Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055.Â* John VK7FJFD followed,
then Ray VK4NH, and then Linda VK7QP.Â* Marijas 10th contact was a Park to
Park with Gerard VK2IO/p who was activating the Berowra Valley National
Park VKFF-1162.Â* This was followed by another Park to Park with Tony
VK3XV/p who was in the Terrick Terrick National Park VKFF-0630.

Marija logged a total of 26 contacts including two further Park to Park
QSOs with Peter VK3PF/p in theÂ*Chiltern Mount Pilot National Park
VKFF-0620, and David VK5DG/3 in the Coopracamba National Park VKFF-0113.

I then called CQ once again on 7.120 and logged a further 23 stations
including Park to Park contacts with Peter VK3PF/p in the Chiltern Mount
Pilot National Park VKFF-0620 (a new contact on a new UTC day), and Gerard
VK2IO/p in the Berowra Valley National Park VKFF-1162.

With 53 contacts in the log, I moved to the 20m band and called CQ on
14.310.Â* I logged a total of 9 stations, all bar one from Queensland.Â*
Brett VK2VW was the exception.

Marija then called CQ on 3.610 for about 5 minutes, but there were no
takers.

We packed up and headed off to our next park, the Timberoo Flora and Fauna
Reserve.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3FOWL/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055)
VK3YSP/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055)
VK7FJFD
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK7QP
VK2PKT
VK5FANA
VK2IO/p (Berowra Valley National Park VKFF-1162)
VK3XV/p (Terrick Terrick National Park VKFF-0630)
VK2VW
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK4HNS
VK3PF/p (Chiltern Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620)
VK4CZ
VK5DG/3 (Coopracamba National Park VKFF-0113)
VK3AN
VK2LEE
VK3AQZ
VK2HHA
VK4SYD
VK3VLY

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3ALA
VK5TT
VK3PI
VK1DI
VK3ZPF/p (Dandenong Ranges National Park VKFF-0132)
VK1BUB
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK7DW
VK4CZ
VK5DG/3 (Coopracamba National Park VKFF-0113)
VK5FANA
VK3MPR
VK3DAC
VK3BSN/5
VK3PF/p (Chiltern Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620)
VK2HQ
VK2HBG
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK2XXM
VK3SQ
VK2PKT
VK2MGM
VK4SMA
VK3MAB
VK2LX
VK3YSP/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055)
VK3FOWL/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055)
VK2EXA
VK4TJ
VK4/AC8WN
VK4/VE6XT
VK4SSN
VK3AQZ
VK2YW
VK3DBP
VK3ZL/m
VK2LEE
VK7QP
VK2HHA
VK3VIN
VK3AHR
VK3UH
VK4HNS
VK3ANL
VK1MIC
VK5NJ
VK3PF/p (Chiltern Mount Pilot National Park VKFF-0620)
VK3AN
VK2IO/p(Berowra Valley National Park VKFF-1162)
VK3MDH

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK2VW
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4