Old November 14th 19, 04:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VK5PAS] Turriff Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2466

vk5pas

Turriff Flora and Fauna Reserve VKFF-2466

https://vk5pas.org/2019/11/13/turrif...rve-vkff-2466/

Our next intended park for the day was the Turriff Flora and Fauna Reserve
VKFF-2466.Â* Â*This was to be the first time the park had been activated for
the World Wide Flora Fauna (WWFF) program.

The park is located about 390 km north-west of Melbourne.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Turriff Flora & Fauna Reserve.Â* Map
courtesy of Protected Planet.

To get to the park we travelled east out of Patchewollock on the
Patchewollock-Sea Lake Road.Â* We soon reached the little town of Speed
which was named afterÂ*William, Harold and Gordon Speed, who settled in the
district in 1903.Â* Speed is the venue of the Mallee MachineryÂ*Field Days,
first held in 1979. It is run over two days in August and has over 8,000
people attend.Â* The normal population of the town is only about 100 people.

The Turriff Flora and Fauna Reserve is about 617 acres in size and was
established in 1981.Â* The park takes its name from the locality of Turriff
which was settled in 1902.Â* In 1994 a meteorite with a mass of 0.28
kilograms (0.62Â*lb) was found in a field near Turriff.

The park is named after the nearby town of Turriff.Â* In 1901 the first
settlers came to the Malle area where the town of Turriff was later named
after Mr John Turriff, the Manager of Corrong Station.Â* There was no
permanent water, no telephone, and roads were just sandy tracks.Â* In
1902-1903 the railway line was constructed through thick mallee scrub from
Woomerlang to Nowingi.Â* The SEC power came in 1964.Â* In about 1912, 17,000
km of open channel was constructed by horse teams and scoops, which brought
water to the are from storage in the Grampians.Â* This was completed in
1920.Â* Channels ran once a year to fill dams.

We accessed the park via Roberts Road which runs off the Sunraysia Highway.
Above:- An aerial view of the Turriff Flora & Fauna Reserve showing our
operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Protected Planet.

The VK6 guys were still on 7.145, so once again I called CQ on 7.140.Â*
First in the log was Grant VK2LX, followed by Adrian VK5FANA, and then Ray
VK4NH.Â* Once I had ten contacts in the log I swapped the mic with Marija.

Marijas first contact was with Steve VK5KSW on the Yorke Peninsula,
followed by Peter VK3PF/m, and then Adrian VK5FANA.Â* It only took Marija
about 9 minutes to get her tenth contact which was with Ian VK3VDX.

I then jumped onto the mic and logged a further two stations on 40m, before
moving to the 20m band.Â* I there logged just the one station, Adam VK2YK.Â*
Marija and I then moved to 80m where we spoke with Liz VK2XSE/p who was
activating the Jerilderie Nature Reserve VKFF-1942.Â* I then moved down to
3.610 and logged Rob VK2VH.

We were a bit pressed for time, so we packed up and headed off to our next
park.Â* We had qualified another new park for VKFF.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK5KSW
VK3PF/m
VK5FANA
VK2LEE
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2
VK3VDX
VK2LX

Marija worked the following station on 80m SSB:-

VK2XSE/p (Jerilderie Nature Reserve VKFF-1942)

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK2LX
VK5FANA
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK2IO
VK4HNS
VK3PF/m
VK2HGP
VK5KSW
VK2VH
VK4AAC/2

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK2YK

I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-