Old October 25th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Saying goodbye to an old friend

W2LJ QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Saying goodbye to an old friend

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

It's time to say goodbye to the maple tree in the back yard - my trusty
antenna support over the last 22 years. My neighbor came by today to tell
me that his cousin, who has a tree service business will be by sometime
this week to take it down.
Unfortunately, it's time. The trunk has carpenter ant damage and the tree
is not the most healthy. The trunk is hollow in places and were we to get
another Sandy type of storm, it would most definitely go horizontal. So
tomorrow, the W3EDP will come down as well as the VHF/UHF J-pole, so that
will not get damaged when the crane is moved into my neighbor's driveway.
Once the tree is down, some sort of mast will go up in that corner of the
back yard to take place of Ol' Mapley. For the foreseeable future, I will
have only the Butternut HF9V and perhaps the AlexLoop for the time being.
Good bye, ol' friend - thanks for holding up my wire antennas!
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

This is the stuff I dream of

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

A good Amateur Radio friend, Marc W4MPS recently activated a POTA site.
Here's a video he published:
Wow! What a beautiful setting! And beside the superb radio operating by
Marc, how about that dronesmanship? Eh? Don't those aerial views just add
to the beauty of it all?
I would love to travel out West and activate parks like this. Being able to
take in the natural beauty of God's creation AND have fun on the radio at
the same time - what could possibly be better than that!
This reminds me of another time and another place in a totally different
circumstance. Marc helped the South Plainfield Amateur Radio Club activate
our local Spring Lake Park back in 2015 for Field Day. Marc was in New
Jersey visiting his daughter and he stopped by to give our CW effort some
much needed assistance. The view was nowhere as spectacular and the weather
left a lot to be desired.

You can see by the jackets and ponchos being worn that the weather was less
than deluxe for that Field Day. Actually, after it was over, we all
wondered how it was that none of us came down with pneumonia. It was chilly
for late June, and very damp and wet. The funny thing was, that after Field
Day weekend, that year we did not get another wet weekend until well into
Autumn!
Thanks, Marc, for sharing your video. Make sure to take us along on any
further adventures!
72 de Larry W2LJQRP - When you care to send the very least!

Goodbye Analog HFguy Shortwave 1 March 22nd 07 03:28 PM
Goodbye, eQSO Lloyd General 20 August 5th 05 08:20 PM
Goodbye, my uber-friend KØHB Dx 3 April 5th 05 01:12 AM
Goodbye, my uber-friend KØHB General 3 April 5th 05 01:12 AM
the captain says goodbye [email protected] Shortwave 13 March 25th 05 06:45 PM