Old January 9th 21, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Register for next QSO Today Expo - March 13-14, 2021

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Register for next QSO Today Expo - March 13-14, 2021

I got this from the QSO Today Expo a couple of days ago. Ill be speaking
about teaching online classes. C U THR!

The first QSO Today Expo was a great success with over 16,000 attendees and
the March 13-14, 2021 event is anticipated to be even larger. The QSO Expo
team has been working hard to make this upcoming Expo even better with new
speakers, panel discussions, kit building workshops, and much more.

Anyone can attend from their home or office.

Early Bird Tickets are just $10 (to help cover the cost of this event,
$12.50 at the door) and include entry for the Live 2 day period as well as
the 30-day on-demand period). Registration can be found at
www.qsotodayhamexpo.com.

The ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio® in the United States,
is a QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo Partner.

At the Expo, amateur radio operators will be able to:

Learn from a packed line-up of 60+ renowned ham radio speakers such as Bob
Allphin, K4UEE, on “My Favorite DXpeditions to DXCC Top 10 Most Wanted”;
Michael Foerster, W0IH, on “Using the Arduino In Your Shack”; and Ron
Jones, K7RJ, on “3D Printer Basics”.
Take part in Live virtual kit building workshops. Kits will be available
for purchase and delivered to you in time for the Expo so you can
participate and build from the convenience of your home.
Walk through the virtual exhibit hall filled with popular amateur radio
suppliers. Watch live product demos of the latest equipment. New video
technology will be used to provide a better experience for attendees to
engage with exhibitors.
Outside of our virtual auditorium is a virtual lounge with tables and
chairs for live video chats to allow a “hallway meetup” experience.
Prior to the Expo, take advantage of our new speaker calendar technology to
download speaker times in your local time zones to your Google or Outlook
calendar. You’ll then have a complete schedule of the sessions you want to
join.

If you’ve never been to an in-person Hamfest or Expo, you can participate
from the convenience of your home or office without spending a dime on
travel! This platform simulates a full convention experience with an
exhibit hall and exhibit booths staffed by live attendants, speaker
auditorium with live Q&A, and now our video lounge.

And remember that you can return over the 30 days after the QSO Today Expo
to listen to speakers you missed during the Live period, explore, and
re-engage exhibitor offerings.

Flexradio is the Expo’s Platinum Sponsor and Gold sponsors as of this time
include Elecraft, RFinder, and Connect Systems.

Go to https://www.qsotodayhamexpo.com/ now to learn more and get registered!

We look forward to having you join us at Expo for an amazing and engaging
experience.

The post Register for next QSO Today Expo March 13-14, 2021 appeared first
on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Amateur radio in the news: Wireless and steam museum, Halifax amateurs get
on the air, SDR tunes in new world of broadcasting

Finally, a good reason to visit Rhode Island (just kidding, just
kidding).Dan
Wireless Steam Museum reaches out
Massie Spark Station at the NE Wireless and Steam Museum, East Greenwich,
RI.

E. GREENWICH, RI For nearly 60 years, a small sign on Frenchtown Road has
led visitors to a historic collection of ancient machines, one of East
Greenwich’s best-kept secrets. This just-passed fall, the New England
Wireless and Steam Museum*turned outward –*using a new technology (the
internet) to share its collection of communication devices and steam
engines with the wider world.

Museum director Randy Snow says he hopes the new video program will spread
appreciation for mechanics and engineering: “We’re trying to hold onto
those tangible skills, those lost arts, that aren’t taught anymore.”
read more

This sounds like a good activity for any club..Dan
Open frequencies: Halifax amateur radio operators make contact for Get on
the Air

HALIFAX, NS — With the sound of Saturday’s noon gun from atop Citadel Hill,
John Bignell was off and running.*Or at least his handheld radio set was as
the*Halifax Amateur Radio Club’s Get on the Air winter event got underway.
Dozens of radio operators around the city switched on their home
transmitters or took to the snow-covered streets with portable units to
make as many contacts as possible before the 4 p.m. deadline.
read more

Software-defined radio tuning in new world of broadcasting
About two years ago a friend handed me a small blue device that plugs into
the USB port of a computer. As he handed it to me he said it would
completely change the way I thought of radio.*I grew up in a household
where radio was important. It enabled my immigrant parents, who had left
western Europe for the Antipodes in the wake of the Second World War, to
listen over shortwave to broadcasts from their home country. As such, radio
and antennas were commonplace to me, and I remember building crystal sets
to pull in whatever signals I could. Eventually that led me to getting my
amateur radio operator certificate in Canada.
read more

The post Amateur radio in the news: Wireless and steam museum, Halifax
amateurs get on the air, SDR tunes in new world of broadcasting appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.