Old June 16th 05, 03:41 PM
Caveat Lector

Default SiX METER DXers -- Please Spread Out

Well yesterday KH6 came on 50.125 MHz very weak and sometimes copyable.
Probably the whole west coast (and other coasts) was calling. In addition
many who were not aware that Hawaii was there were calling CQ and making USA
contacts right over the top of the KH6. Some were rag chewing locally! It
was a real mess. CHECK THE PACKET OR TELENET CLUSTERS.

All this could have been avoided by the DX station calling on 50.110 or
moving off the 6M calling frequency (50.125)

And for those constant CQers on 50.125, please don't monopolize the calling
frequency.

Here is a tip that works very well. Go to 50.125 and make a brief
announcement "WA11XYZ EM45 going to 50.190

By doing this you clear the calling frequency and possibly contact the
weaker stations -- which is really what your looking for -- DX or new states
or grid squares.

DX stations -- move off the calling frequency, you will do a lot better and
attract savvy DXers who tune the whole SSB range on 6M. Make brief
announcements on 50.125 -- say your up to ___ MHz or 50.110 -- the DX Window

And for cris sakes folks don't rag chew with locals on 50.125 if you think
the band is dead. It may open while you are keying down for your lengthy
blurbs.

I don't need Hawaii -- have several contacts and confirmations, but the new
folks to the band are really put off by poor operating habits.

One day I heard a local (20dB over S9) tuning up with a carrier on 50.125 --
what was he/she thinking !!!
Another day some rag chewers were on the calling frequency for 20 minutes
and underneath them was a really rare grid square skipping in.

Lets keep it the Magic Band -- not the Tragic Band
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old June 17th 05, 05:38 AM
6meter_dude

Great post !

An elmer once told me that 6m is not like vfh,

Use the dial and move around, otherwise
you will never make any qso sitting on the
calling frequency !

73 dude