Old June 26th 05, 12:47 PM
Joe S.

Default AD5TH Tower Project Completed - Pics Online

"Charlie" wrote in message
75 ft guyed tower with 21 foot mast. 2M M2 HO LOOP antenna at 95 ft. M2
2M9SSB beam antenna at 90 ft.
The difference from antennas at around 30 ft to the same antennas at 90-95
ft is astonishing. Anyone considering raising their antennas should "just
do it"

1. http://deepsouthnet.net/tower.html

I am founder and net control for the Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net located in
Union,Mississippi. Come join us 7 nights a week at 8:30PM CDT on 144.240

MHz
USB. We have 10-15 or more check-ins nightly with 38 on our All Time

Total
Roster and nearly 25 on our Active Roster! The net has grown from it's
first Roll Call on April 8,2005 at an amazing rate.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Do I understand that the guy wires terminate to trees? Is that a permanent
arrangement?

--

-----
Joe S.

Old June 26th 05, 08:47 PM
Charlie

Thank you all very much for your kindness and courtesy in responding to my
post.
Typically those that berate others have significant problems with self
esteem.

Oh..as for those "sins"...mine are already forgiven.
--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old June 26th 05, 09:00 PM
Dave

they may be forgiven, but that won't keep a tower in the air nor make it
safer to climb. those sins are things you should seriously look at
correcting as they all affect the strength and safety of your investment as
well as anyone working on it or playing near it.

Old June 26th 05, 09:51 PM
Charlie

Those trees have withstood every storm the past 30+ years.....

Any tower can be blown down no matter what ..just let mother nature have her
way.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old June 27th 05, 02:47 AM
Joe S.

"Charlie" wrote in message
Those trees have withstood every storm the past 30+ years.....

Any tower can be blown down no matter what ..just let mother nature have

her
way.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH
www.ad5th.com
Deep South 2 Meter SSB Net
www.deepsouthnet.net

No, any tower cannot blow down no matter what. A properly installed tower,
installed to manufacturer's specs, will withstand at least the wind load
specified by the manufacturer.

In my initial reply in which I pointed out that the tower was guyed to one
or more trees, I was trying to be nice. Now that others have chimed in, no
more nice guy.

That piece of **** will come down on your house, possibly on neighbors'
houses, and possibly on a power line. And when it does, this is a little
bit of what will happen:
-- your homeowner's insurance company will send out a tower engineer to
check the wreckage and will refuse to pay one penny.
-- your neighbors will sue for damages, their insurance companies will send
out real tower engineers to inspect, and your homeowner's liability
insurance will not pay a penny.
-- the power company will send out their engineers and will charge you to
repair the damage to their lines and equipment.
-- you'll be damn lucky if no one is killed or injured when it comes down.
And if anyone is, you could be looking at jail time, depending on whether or
not your local prosecuting attorney wants to be a badass.

Here is a short list of problems with your tower:
-- not installed any way close to manufacturer's specs
-- mixed parts of different towers; what the hell is a "Sears" tower?
Intended for TV antenna use? There is a BIG difference between real towers
(Rohn) and make-believe towers.
-- base is a joke; a guyed 50-foot 25G requires 1.5 cubic yards of concrete.
You are supporting 75 feet with less than a yard.
-- base is an even bigger joke when you consider that you used a homemade,
non-galvanized base plate welded to some odd pieces of pipe buried a couple
of feet in the ground. Welds are not cleaned and galvanized -- they will
rust and break. Did you ever stop to think why tower parts are hot-dipped
galvanized?
-- guyed to trees. Problem is not that the trees will come down, problem is
that in a big blow, the trees will sway one way, pulling the guy wires with
them, while the tower is swaying in the other direction, thereby popping the
guy wires.
-- guyed to power pole. Did you clear this with the local power company
first? When they discover what you have done to their pole, you'll need a
lawyer and a big bank account.
-- too close to house -- when that thing comes down, it'll take out a big
piece of house.
-- no thrust bearing so all the whipping around the mast will do will be
absorbed by the rotator. But that's okay, when the tower comes down you can
replace the rotator by standing on the ground.
-- did you use high-tensile steel for the mast or another piece of Radio
Shack junk?

I'll look for you in QST -- Silent Keys in a couple of months.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old June 27th 05, 03:18 AM
Ed

"Charlie" wrote in
:
Those trees have withstood every storm the past 30+ years.....

Any tower can be blown down no matter what ..just let mother nature
have her way.

Well, Charlie, those trees have withstood mother nature up til now.
Whether or not they are healthy, they now are supporting a 90 foot tower,
in addition to their own wind load. Things are different now.

As far as ANY tower can be blown down.... not really true for a properly
engineered and maintained structure.

Ed K7AAT
Old June 27th 05, 04:26 AM
Charlie

Thank you Joe for your unsolicited candor.....

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old June 27th 05, 04:44 AM
John Smith

.... Joe S. was a bit harsh.

However, I have a cousin who is a mucky-muck in the "insurance scam",
frankly it is my belief that some of those guys would beat pennies out
of widows if it paid enough.

If it were me, I'd see if I couldn't work on the tree thing a bit and
set up some steel-galvanized pipes set in a generous block of concrete
and perhaps tied to deadmen to make sure the "insurance thieves" did not
find a new victim in me...

.... I have about the same respect for insurance people as I do for
lawyers, since the supreme court decision on confiscation of private
property--they now join those ranks--the constitution seems damn clear
on the point to me--indeed, I would expect any high school kid with a
proper course in american history to make a better decision than they
managed--so nothing surprises me--and for that reason I'd always plan
for the worse...

John

Old June 27th 05, 06:13 AM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear Charlie AD5TH:
You have performed a great service by presenting the results of K5HGR's
engineering and your work. Its educational value is almost beyond
calculation.

In this part of the world one would need to have a licensed professional
engineer (PE) sign off on such a structure. Clearly, down your way one has
freedom to innovate without concern for issues that we are required to
consider.

My goodness. I recently completed a task of a tall tower in a populated
area where I had to have design work from the factory's PE, have that work
reviewed by a local PE, get permission from the local municipality, have
the airport sign off on the height, take soil samples so that a safe
foundation could be designed, watch the fabrication of the foundation to
make sure that it was done right, and on and on... Course, we do get
serious wind up here and it just would not do to kill someone with a tower
collapse.

You sure are fortunate not to have all of the things we have to put up
with and not even have to worry about wind. Do keep us posted. The whole
story has yet to be revealed.

73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old June 27th 05, 01:45 PM
Cecil Moore

Ed wrote:
As far as ANY tower can be blown down.... not really true for a properly
engineered and maintained structure.

I saw on The National Geographic Channel yesterday where
all towers left standing will be blown down when our sun
explodes about five billion years from now. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tower Resonance Breaker? KA9S-3_Jeff Antenna 4 March 12th 05 10:39 PM
Single ground Bill Ogden Antenna 26 November 25th 04 03:47 AM
Is lighting nuts? CIL Antenna 29 October 23rd 04 11:38 PM
PRESS RELEASE: HCDX Online Log 1.0 released Risto Kotalampi Shortwave 0 January 12th 04 08:04 AM
FS: U.S. Tower TX489 MDPL 89' Telescopic tower Rich W6VX Equipment 0 August 28th 03 02:46 AM