Old June 27th 05, 03:12 PM
Rob

Charlie,

It's very obvious a lot of hard work went into that project, this makes
it even harder to face criticism, but don't lose sight of the fact that
it's constructive (even though it's deteriorating rapidly.) There really
are numerous problems with your installation, and some will inevitably
lead to catastrophic failure and potential loss of life.

Be careful around that thing until you can fix it up. In the least,
install dedicated anchor points set in a sizeable concrete base, shorten
your top mast and get a thrust bearing up there. Put at least 1/3 of
your rotatable mast below the bearing.

This is by no means a complete list, but I think the majority of readers
will agree it's a good place to start.

Rob

Old June 27th 05, 03:37 PM
R. Scott

Well considering he is the former AB7SL it wouldnt surprise me this is
his creation. If you do a net search on good ole charlie you will find
lots of things. Including his imitating a couple of amateurs on the
newsgroups to promote his spamming of the Newsgroups with the Antenna
sales. I understand that 2 of them were really unhappy about that and
were getting lawyers and soon after that charles disappeared from the
net as AB7SL and now he has reappeared.

Charles charles, when you going to learn.
--
Rick
Everett, Washington
Old June 27th 05, 04:02 PM
Rick Scott

Hmm Well considering he is the former AB7SL it wouldnt surprise me this
is
his creation. If you do a net search on good ole charlie you will find
lots of things.

Keep your head down.

Old June 27th 05, 05:09 PM
Peter Lemken

In rec.radio.amateur.dx Rick Scott wrote:

Hmm Well considering he is the former AB7SL

*That* explains a lot.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Was schlechten Geschmack so berauschend macht, ist die aristokratische
Wonne der Verärgerung.

-- Charles Baudelaire
Old June 27th 05, 08:19 PM
Charlie

Hi Mac,
We had certain constraints to work around such as available guy anchors
vs. distance of tower from shack since it is a VHF installation I needed to
be as close to the shack as possible for transmission line loss
considerations even with 9914. Even though we have over 40 acres the tower
needed to be close as hardline was not an option.

I am in the country here so there is little building regulation to adhere to
or approvals of construction projects.

We could and still might add concreted guy anchors although they would give
more interference for the mower and foot traffic in the back and front yards
and that was a concern of the xyl.

The tower has a very low wind load on it with those 2 small lightweight VHF
antennas. I know it is very common for hams to overload their "properly
engineered and maintained " towers.

As far as mating 2 different brands of towers I was on a budget and had
access to 45ft of what has been called "Sears" brand and 40 ft of 25g. We
altered our design from an 85ft erection down to 75ft as a safety precaution
during and after the installation. Yes trees do sway but as the photos
show they don't sway where the guys are attached.

Our insurance man has added the structure to our list of covered items in
our policy so evidently it was OK for coverage.
I suppose that no matter how we installed this tower and I so naively
posted a photo link there are some that will berate it.

TY for your civility however..seriously it was quite refreshing.....
--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
Dear Charlie AD5TH:
You have performed a great service by presenting the results of K5HGR's
engineering and your work. Its educational value is almost beyond
calculation.

In this part of the world one would need to have a licensed
professional
engineer (PE) sign off on such a structure. Clearly, down your way one
has
freedom to innovate without concern for issues that we are required to
consider.

My goodness. I recently completed a task of a tall tower in a
populated
area where I had to have design work from the factory's PE, have that work
reviewed by a local PE, get permission from the local municipality, have
the airport sign off on the height, take soil samples so that a safe
foundation could be designed, watch the fabrication of the foundation to
make sure that it was done right, and on and on... Course, we do get
serious wind up here and it just would not do to kill someone with a tower
collapse.

You sure are fortunate not to have all of the things we have to put up
with and not even have to worry about wind. Do keep us posted. The whole
story has yet to be revealed.

73 Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old June 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Charlie

Good point...guess I'll have enough time then for VUCC!!!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
As far as ANY tower can be blown down.... not really true for a properly
engineered and maintained structure.

I saw on The National Geographic Channel yesterday where
all towers left standing will be blown down when our sun
explodes about five billion years from now. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Newsgroups
=----

Old June 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Charlie

Thanks for your tips Rob...

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

.. .

Old June 27th 05, 08:21 PM
Charlie

I moved to Mississippi dumb-ass...I knew nothing about your alleged
"lawyers". BIOYA!!!

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

Old June 27th 05, 08:22 PM
Charlie

Double posting Rick? I see you still are a Usenet novice but still always
good for a chuckle.

--

Charlie
Ham Radio - AD5TH

oups.com...

Old June 27th 05, 08:37 PM
Rick Scott

Still the same charlie. And I dont think I said anything about me
getting a lawyer, Im just relaying what was said to me from a Gentleman
who's name and ham radio callsign was used on USNET to bolster your
comments. Funnything was, he didnt even use the internet. He was very
curious about where it came from and wanted to know where. I pointed
to Cable one to let them tell him.

Funny you disappeard off the internet shortly after that.

Coincidence I guess.

Good luck with that tower of yours. Im sure we will be reading much
more about it some day soon.

Tower Resonance Breaker? KA9S-3_Jeff Antenna 4 March 12th 05 10:39 PM
Single ground Bill Ogden Antenna 26 November 25th 04 03:47 AM
Is lighting nuts? CIL Antenna 29 October 23rd 04 11:38 PM
PRESS RELEASE: HCDX Online Log 1.0 released Risto Kotalampi Shortwave 0 January 12th 04 08:04 AM
FS: U.S. Tower TX489 MDPL 89' Telescopic tower Rich W6VX Equipment 0 August 28th 03 02:46 AM