RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Morse code learning software (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/79338-morse-code-learning-software.html)

VE3PMK October 16th 05 03:36 PM

Morse code learning software

Likewise, Thanks Sigurd!

VE3PMK

Sigurd,

I've been following this for awhile and I find it ironic that someone
takes the time to create a piece of software and then offer it free to
anyone who would like to use it only to have a bunch of complainers
giving you flak that they don't like it or aren't getting there monies
worth.

Thank you for your efforts and providing it free in the best of
amateur radio traditions.

Very 73,
Danny, K6MHE

Sigurd Stenersen October 16th 05 03:52 PM

Morse code learning software

Dan Richardson wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:33:32 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to
add more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to
spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just extending
my working hours without being paid...

I've been following this for awhile and I find it ironic that someone
takes the time to create a piece of software and then offer it free to
anyone who would like to use it only to have a bunch of complainers
giving you flak that they don't like it or aren't getting there monies
worth.

If that was all I got I would have given up. But fortunately, I get
positive feedback, too. A lot of people send me encouraging emails, a few
people (like yourself) make positive comments on newsgroups and there has
even been a few donations.

(It's not like I'm going to get anything substantial out of this in terms of
money, but the very idea that somebody is willing to part with money when
they don't have to is a very strong indication that what I have created is
perceived as valuable to others.)

Also, checking the download counter has been very encouraging. Approaching
2000 downloads after just a couple of weeks of "air time" is WAY beyond what
I expected for a Morse code learning program.

Thank you for your efforts and providing it free in the best of
amateur radio traditions.

Thank you !

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Dr.Ace October 16th 05 04:40 PM

Morse code learning software

Thank you Sigurd.
As we all know, many of the posters in this NG just want something to bitch
about.
Ace - WH2T

Falky foo October 16th 05 09:03 PM

Morse is...

very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone. Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language. So good-on-em if
that's their thing.

Has October 17th 05 12:07 AM

Morse is...

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
. ..
antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a
miracle that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and (slowly)
communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of spark
generators were invented and we were really advanced because we could lose
the wire sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the
importance of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time in
here. However, if I need to order a pizza on my way home from work, I
don't pull out my HT and patch into the local pizzeria. I use my cell
phone of course.

Of course.

There are those however who find using the code to be an enjoyable way of
communicating, for any number of reasons.

Thanks to LB3KB for offering another good way to learn for those folks who
choose to do so.

-Has
KC6TRC

Falky foo October 17th 05 07:45 AM

Morse is...

Absconde obesito illegitimo
Ace - WH2T

exactly

[email protected] October 17th 05 08:58 AM

wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to spend the
little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to add more features to
Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to spend some time on regular
ham activities rather than just extending my working hours without being
paid...

Sigurd,

I've been following this for awhile and I find it ironic that someone
takes the time to create a piece of software and then offer it free to
anyone who would like to use it only to have a bunch of complainers
giving you flak that they don't like it or aren't getting there monies
worth.

The common saying is -- they'd bitch if you hung tthem with a
brand new rope.

[email protected] October 17th 05 09:00 AM

Morse code learning software

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:10:07 -0400, VE3PMK wrote:

There are lots of nice code programs for MacOS.

Just go to www.google.com/mac and type morse code software in the search
string.

Sorry, can't help you on Linux, but I'm sure they're out there also.

As to the bashing of morse code, if a group of people wanted to play
with communication via smoke signals or tin cans connected with yarn,
it's difficult to understand the mindset of another group who chooses to
flame them for it. Peculiar thinking indeed.

Yep. Right along the lines of, "Kill all the horses; we have
cars now."

Why not flame those
microwave guys who drive around from mountain top to mountain top with
their feed horns and tripods? Perhaps it's because if they enjoy doing
it then all the power to them! It's all about what you enjoy in the
hobby, and if some like morse and others like microwave and yet others
enjoy APRS... hurrah for all of them. Have fun and let others have their
fun too.

VE3PMK

Jerseyj wrote:
In article ,
stuff cut

Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Oh, and you can change settings during a session (while Morse code is being
sent).

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd