Old July 25th 03, 08:53 PM
Hank Oredson

Default Remote dx

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:35:15 -0500, "Larry"
wrote:

Scanning 17meters this morning I thought I had ran across some good dx.
Nn2x/a9 was calling cq dx stateside. I was disappointed a few minutes later
to hear that he was actually operating a radio and antenna in Boston via a
satellite and internet link from Bahrain. Boston is not quite what I would
call dx.I am glad that he did explain the situation, saved me the time
involved in making a useless contact .
w5wlb
ootc

This is a prime example of why so many "OT's" have had it with
ham radio. Ham radio used to be about communications. Now it's
about post cards.

No post card, no sense in making a contact. Wonderful.

Other hams who can't produce post cards are "useless". Terrific.

I hope you remember to tell your wife to bury you with your
shoebox full of post cards.

W5 is not what I'd call DX either. No wonder nobody will TALK to
you on the radio.

73, Jim KH2D

Um no Jim.

It was about someone claiming to be transmitting from Bahrain,
when he was actually transmitting from Boston. Fake station ID.

i.e. he was a pirate.

Kind of like your callsign :-)

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old July 26th 03, 07:41 AM

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:30:19 -0500, "Larry"
wrote:

The guy was not dx, thats the point and he was no pirate either.
Btw, kh2 is not what I call dx either.
73 Larry w5wlb

I understand your point, Larry. You stated it very clearly.

The guy was "not DX" hence he was "useless",
and it was a "waste of your time" to talk to him.

Never mind he's a ham. Never mind he's a person. Never
mind he might be an interesting person to talk to. He's
"not DX" so we shouldn't waste our time with him. I guess
that means that anybody who's not "DX" doesn't need a
radio. Maybe that's why so many people are getting rid of
them.

Maybe you missed my point. My point is that your attitude
is one of the prime reasons why ham radio is going down
the crapper.

Explain the no pirate concept to Hank, he missed that the
first time around.

And thank you for not considering me DX, it will make me
sleep better tonite knowing that you'll never call me on the
radio simply because you need a post card from Florida.

73, Jim KH2D

Old July 26th 03, 08:01 AM

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 19:53:27 GMT, "Hank Oredson"
wrote:

It was about someone claiming to be transmitting from Bahrain,
when he was actually transmitting from Boston. Fake station ID.

i.e. he was a pirate.

Kind of like your callsign :-)

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Come on Hank, you can do better on the reading comprehension
test than that. Try again........

I was disappointed a few minutes later
to hear that he was actually operating a radio and antenna in Boston via a
satellite and internet link from Bahrain. Boston is not quite what I would
call dx.I am glad that he did explain the situation, saved me the time...

Sounds to me like the guy was over there in A9 land, with no
propagation to talk to the other guys back home, so he was
creative enuff to overcome the sunspot deficit by using some
innovative technology.

Bad luck - he finds Larry - who thinks hanging post cards
on the wall in plastic holders is hi tech.

73, Jim KH2D

Old July 26th 03, 06:09 PM
Hank Oredson

.. .
wrote:

It was about someone claiming to be transmitting from Bahrain,
when he was actually transmitting from Boston. Fake station ID.

i.e. he was a pirate.

Kind of like your callsign :-)

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Come on Hank, you can do better on the reading comprehension
test than that. Try again........

He was transmitting from Boston using a /A9 callsign.
That is not legal station identification.