Old February 11th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
J. Mc Laughlin

Default 3Y0X

Dear Doug: Interesting observations.

The intentional interference has been frequent and often effective - if that
is the right word. On various of their frequencies, the use of a continuous
carrier that is within 2 Hz of 3Y0X's frequency is heard. It appears not to
be from NA or SA. It would be interesting, though little more, to hear a
psychologist's analysis of what causes persons deliberately to cause
interference.

Miraculously, I heard 3Y0X on 8o meters CW last night and appear to have
worked them. I have gone over the propagation predictions again that
suggest the unlikelihood of such a contact. I will wait for the geophysical
parameters to be posed and look again. However, my guess is it was a
combination of about 100 Hz effective BW, exceptionally low noise at both
ends, a vertical reflecting off of salt water at their end, a tall antenna
at this end, and (most important of all) the use of CW. I also heard them
very weakly on 24900 about Noon.

The place with the worst propagation path from here is VU4.

Guys at Peter I have shown how to do it. Only criticism I have is that
they could profit from providing us with some idea of how long they will
work only (fill in the blank). To say EU for one hour and then Region 2
for an hour and then Region 3 for half an hour - or some such - would
benefit many.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
The QRM on 40 CW was significant. A continuous carrier exactly on

frequency
that was not too strong, but fatiguing. A very strong carrier that

would
pop on at random. The latter caused me not to be sure of a contact at

about
0200. I admit coming back two or three hours latter for a certain

contact -
well, I never did hear the 3Y's call sign ...

I can not make sense out of the calling when 3Y was working. It

could
be that many who do not work CW or do not have break-in called for a few
minutes and then listened to see if 3Y was waiting for them. Sure

filled up
the band.

I tried for a few minutes on 40 last night but because of the continuous
callers I couldn't figure out where he was listening - and with the
pileup at least 20KHz wide I sure didn't think blind calling was
worthwhile. (OTOH, it's pretty cold here this week & I could have used
the added heat from the ampgrin!) (yikes, you think maybe *THAT'S*
why people who can't copy the 3Y are calling him??g)

The intentional QRM was certainly a lot worse last night than it was
previously. I shudder to think what it sounds like on SSB.

The online log search is working this morning -- hopefully that means
the weather lifted & allowed the delivery of the rest of the supplies.
I suppose those on the island would consider the arrival of the rest of
their food to be the most important part of that news, but I suppose the
rest of us would consider the iminent arrival of the rest of their
simultaneous stations to be more importantgrin!

I've found in the past... that a major DXpedition is a good time to
find *other* good DX -- while all the big guns are busy with the 3Y,
some other stuff like FO/m goes begging...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale:
http://www.w9wi.com/articles/4sale.htm

Old February 11th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
The intentional interference has been frequent and often effective - if that
is the right word. On various of their frequencies, the use of a continuous
carrier that is within 2 Hz of 3Y0X's frequency is heard. It appears not to
be from NA or SA. It would be interesting, though little more, to hear a
psychologist's analysis of what causes persons deliberately to cause
interference.

I landed another QSO on 15 CW this afternoon. Intentional QRM was
nearly non-existant and general behavior good but not perfect.

Miraculously, I heard 3Y0X on 8o meters CW last night and appear to have
worked them. I have gone over the propagation predictions again that
suggest the unlikelihood of such a contact. I will wait for the geophysical
parameters to be posed and look again. However, my guess is it was a
combination of about 100 Hz effective BW, exceptionally low noise at both
ends, a vertical reflecting off of salt water at their end, a tall antenna
at this end, and (most important of all) the use of CW. I also heard them
very weakly on 24900 about Noon.

I've learned not to put too horribly much credence in propagation
predictions on polar paths. Reality seems to have a way of trumping
theorygrin.

I also heard them weakly on 24900 about the same time - not strong
enough to work. It almost appeared they had better propagation to
California than they did to here. They were fair on 15 SSB at the same
time (and the pileup was surprisingly well-behaved) but they announced
an operator change before I could work them & the new op never showed
up. (unless he was the one who took them to CW!)

The place with the worst propagation path from here is VU4.

Agreed. (not sure where in 8-land you are but I'm probably not much
more than 1000km from your QTH) When the VU4 was on a bit over a year
ago, I heard them an entire once, and again not strong enough to work.
I hear there's going to be an Indian national amateur radio convention
on VU4 later this year & operations will be permitted. Hopefully
propagation will cooperate!

Guys at Peter I have shown how to do it. Only criticism I have is that
they could profit from providing us with some idea of how long they will
work only (fill in the blank). To say EU for one hour and then Region 2
for an hour and then Region 3 for half an hour - or some such - would
benefit many.

I might guess they figure that dynamically based on propagation & other
duties. But that's just a guess.

Old February 12th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Dan/W4NTI

Any chance you guys that have worked them or even heard them could put it on
here so the rest of the folks could stand a chance.

Seems every time I get on where there supposed to be the signals are poor to
say the least.

I am equiped with a TA-33SR on 20-10 with 500 W amp.

Can do 40 plus 30 and WARC with my Delta loop for 40 with L/L feed.

160 with a "U".

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 12th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Shel

Look at http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/

Old February 12th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:05:20 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

Any chance you guys that have worked them or even heard them could put it on
here so the rest of the folks could stand a chance.

Seems every time I get on where there supposed to be the signals are poor to
say the least.

I am equiped with a TA-33SR on 20-10 with 500 W amp.

Can do 40 plus 30 and WARC with my Delta loop for 40 with L/L feed.

160 with a "U".

Dan/W4NTI

ut I thought you wanted to workem the old fashioned way by listening
for them

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Old February 12th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Dan/W4NTI

"Shel" wrote in message
news
Look at http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/

Thanks, will do.

And to all those guys calling CQNA on top of Peter II on 7023
tonight.....WHAT A BUNCH OF LIDS.

Have a good evening.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 12th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Win

wrote:

Any chance you guys that have worked them or even heard them could put it on
here so the rest of the folks could stand a chance.

Seems every time I get on where there supposed to be the signals are poor to
say the least.

I am equiped with a TA-33SR on 20-10 with 500 W amp.

Can do 40 plus 30 and WARC with my Delta loop for 40 with L/L feed.

160 with a "U".

Dan/W4NTI

You just about have to work a weak signal to work him. They are
running veticals on 30 and 40, wire on 80, and steppers on 10, 15, and
20. last night (Saturday) the pile was as wide as the band, for the
most part. But he was about 559 on 30, 40, and 80 cw for about 5
house each. With that many people calling him, it is pot luck anyway.

I managed to work him on 30 Mtrs at 0639 last night. That seemed to
be the best band because there was fewe lids and less QRM on his
frequency. Bu,t I really need him on 40 or 80 for five band.

I will be there again tonight.

Win
Old February 12th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
Any chance you guys that have worked them or even heard them could put it on
here so the rest of the folks could stand a chance.

Seems every time I get on where there supposed to be the signals are poor to
say the least.

They've been plenty loud on 30m (I forget where - 10103?) and 40m (7023)
fairly often. Just keep a watch on those frequencies. Unfortunately
the pileup behavior has also been worst on those frequencies.

They were a lot weaker (but still well within the capability of your
station) on 15 and 17m, where the piles were a lot better-behaved.
21023 may be worth staking out.

I heard them here on 12 meters but nowhere near well enough to work.

Old February 12th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Win wrote:
Well, I have to say, Doug, that's hardly surprising when the
DXpedition is listening in a QSX band 25 kHz wide! In fact, their SSB
station was announcing that it was "listening 7205 to 7250". What
chance does that give to other band users?

73 de G3NYY

It's no different than when the contesters take over the bands, Walt.
And, it doesn't happen nearly as often. The 3y0 is one of the bigger
fish in DX circles. It's not every day that 2000,000 hams are on the
air.

'Course the contest activity also reflects the desires of the majority
of those who are on at the time...

Neither the contesters as a group, nor the DXers as a group, are guilty
of anything here. The guilt lies with those unable to behave decently
while participating in either pursuit.

(I would suggest that the wide spread of the QSX band would not be a
problem if the callers would actually *LISTEN* before picking a TX
frequency; indeed, a wider QSX band would *reduce* the chances someone
would feel the need to transmit near, or atop, an existing QSO.

It also increases the chances of a lower-powered station finding a hole
in the QSX band and actually being heard.)

Old February 12th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Charlie

Is ALL you do is ****, moan, bitch, cry, complain, bellyache and whine about
Ham Radio?

Have you considered stamp collecting? Geeez Louise.......
Give it a f__king rest - OK pal???
--

Charlie-

any news from 3Y0X... Zlatko Feric Dx 1 February 7th 06 01:37 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #746 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Dx 0 February 5th 06 09:57 PM
3Y0X DXpedition - postponed Charlie Dx 0 February 18th 05 01:06 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM