Old February 8th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Wes Stewart

Default 3Y0X

High line noise here but worked him fairly easily on 20 meters.
Old February 8th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Wes Stewart wrote:
High line noise here but worked him fairly easily on 20 meters.

Congrats!

Likewise here (except no line noise!) on 17 CW.

Much to my surprise, the lids weren't out either. A brief burst of
someone asking three times whether the 3Y transmit frequency was in use
(and being answered "YES!!!" each time by half the planet) but that was
about it. Almost nobody calling out of turn. Pretty amazing.
Difference between this and the pile on the 6O last week? No idea.
Just because it was 17m? Doesn't seem likely but you never know...

Needed for alltime new one here. Will try to catch them for additional
band-countries (and hopefully on RTTY at some point) but won't be
beating my head against the wall to do it.

Signal seems MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the last Peter I expedition.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale:
http://www.w9wi.com/articles/4sale.htm

Old February 8th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Ron

Are you sure this wasn't a lid ? I didn't think they were going to get
set up for about another 3 days.

Old February 8th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Ron wrote:
Are you sure this wasn't a lid ? I didn't think they were going to get
set up for about another 3 days.

On 17 they're peaking the right direction.

http://www.peterone.com/updates.htm says they're on the island and
expected to be on the air as of 0400 UTC today. (i.e. last night USA
time) There's no further news but I'm sure updating the website is
pretty low on their priority list right nowgrin!

On a very vaguely related subject...

I note in the last hour, three different 3Y calls have been spotted on
DX Summit... Either someone out there isn't paying attention, or there
are in fact a couple of "Slims" out there. To be honest I suspect the
former...

Old February 8th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:17:45 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

Wes Stewart wrote:
High line noise here but worked him fairly easily on 20 meters.

Congrats!

Likewise.

Likewise here (except no line noise!) on 17 CW.

Much to my surprise, the lids weren't out either. A brief burst of
someone asking three times whether the 3Y transmit frequency was in use
(and being answered "YES!!!" each time by half the planet) but that was
about it. Almost nobody calling out of turn. Pretty amazing.
Difference between this and the pile on the 6O last week? No idea.
Just because it was 17m? Doesn't seem likely but you never know...

I was having a tough time hearing him through the noise but things
seemed to be rather controlled on 20 also. The op seemed to take a
break (maybe he announced it but I didn't hear it) for a few minutes
and the calling stopped.

I waited and when he (or another op) returned, I got him on about the
fourth or fifth call. The noise had also dropped a bit which helped.

Needed for alltime new one here. Will try to catch them for additional
band-countries (and hopefully on RTTY at some point) but won't be
beating my head against the wall to do it.

Same here. Would like him on 80 mainly cuz I need some more countries
on 80, but the prop forecasts say it ain't going to happen.

Signal seems MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the last Peter I expedition.

Couldn't say, I wasn't on then, nor for any of the Heard expeditions
. May never get that one.

Old February 9th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Spent a bit of time on them on 30 and 40 last night without success.
They seemed to be having some trouble pulling people out of the mess on
30 - it could be as much as 2 minutes between QSOs. (I suppose it could
be they were distracted by non-radio support activities at this point in
the expedition!)

On 40, unfortunately the lids were out in full force.

Ironically, the ones intentionally trying to interfere with the 3Y
operation were essentially ineffective. It was never difficult to know
what the 3Y was sending.

It was the lids who *didn't* have malicious intent who were causing the
most grief - the continuous callers who made it nearly impossible to
find the station the 3Y was working.

I did work FO/DL1AWI on 80. If they aren't in French Polynesia (haven't
looked 'em up yet) then they're a new one on that band. He'd been
working on 3506.5; he vanished, then popped back up calling CQ on 3508 -
I worked him on the first call out of the CQ. Sometimes you luck outgrin!

Couldn't say, I wasn't on then, nor for any of the Heard expeditions
. May never get that one.

Ouch.

I have worked Heard twice (sorryg) but there's never been much signal
there.

But the most interesting thing about DX in the new millenium is how
dynamic the Most Wanted lists have become. Who'd have thought: KP1 &
KP5 becoming nearly impossible, while you can work ZA and BY during any
contest?

Old February 9th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Win

It was sad to note that the Europeans have become as whiney and
outrageous an the North Americans. They may have even surpassed us
with their comments on the DX spots. The Russians were particularly
impatient.

Later in the evening the signals on 30 and 40 mts became quite good.
The operation on 30 meters went well, from this location. There were
a few UP Cops and the usual calls on frequency, but much less than I
expected.

Fourty meters was another story. Every lid and want-to-be came to the
show. It was interesting to note, though, that the signal got really
good about 0500 UTC, and much of the QRMing stopped. This leads me to
believe that most of the lids had to go to work the next day, or
passed out.

The heavy toned QRM on 40 meters last night is suspected to be from
some type of military operation in eastern Europe. I plotted all the
azimuths given on the spots last night, and it looks like this QRM was
coming from Nothern Russia. When it stopped around 0500 UTC, the 3YO
was as clear as a bell here.

The only other thing that I noted was that when the 3Y0 went to EU,
very few NA stations quit calling.

Win w0lz

Old February 10th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)

I worked them on 15m SSB yesterday afternoon and the QSO does not show in
the on-line log. Wonder if I worked a slim?

Does anyone know their departure date?

--
-larry
K8UT

Old February 10th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
J. Mc Laughlin

The QRM on 40 CW was significant. A continuous carrier exactly on frequency
that was not too strong, but fatiguing. A very strong carrier that would
pop on at random. The latter caused me not to be sure of a contact at about
0200. I admit coming back two or three hours latter for a certain contact -
well, I never did hear the 3Y's call sign ...

I can not make sense out of the calling when 3Y was working. It could
be that many who do not work CW or do not have break-in called for a few
minutes and then listened to see if 3Y was waiting for them. Sure filled up
the band.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old February 10th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
The QRM on 40 CW was significant. A continuous carrier exactly on frequency
that was not too strong, but fatiguing. A very strong carrier that would
pop on at random. The latter caused me not to be sure of a contact at about
0200. I admit coming back two or three hours latter for a certain contact -
well, I never did hear the 3Y's call sign ...

I can not make sense out of the calling when 3Y was working. It could
be that many who do not work CW or do not have break-in called for a few
minutes and then listened to see if 3Y was waiting for them. Sure filled up
the band.

I tried for a few minutes on 40 last night but because of the continuous
callers I couldn't figure out where he was listening - and with the
pileup at least 20KHz wide I sure didn't think blind calling was
worthwhile. (OTOH, it's pretty cold here this week & I could have used
the added heat from the ampgrin!) (yikes, you think maybe *THAT'S*
why people who can't copy the 3Y are calling him??g)

The intentional QRM was certainly a lot worse last night than it was
previously. I shudder to think what it sounds like on SSB.

The online log search is working this morning -- hopefully that means
the weather lifted & allowed the delivery of the rest of the supplies.
I suppose those on the island would consider the arrival of the rest of
their food to be the most important part of that news, but I suppose the
rest of us would consider the iminent arrival of the rest of their
simultaneous stations to be more importantgrin!

I've found in the past... that a major DXpedition is a good time to
find *other* good DX -- while all the big guns are busy with the 3Y,
some other stuff like FO/m goes begging...

any news from 3Y0X... Zlatko Feric Dx 1 February 7th 06 01:37 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #746 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Dx 0 February 5th 06 09:57 PM
3Y0X DXpedition - postponed Charlie Dx 0 February 18th 05 01:06 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM