Old February 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Dan/W4NTI

Default 3Y0X

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
Conditions are much better today to 3Y0 land. Just went to listen on
14.023 and there they were. Put in the second VFO and found who he was
in QSO with. Made exactly 1 call. He came right back. That's with 500w
to Mosley 3 element.

Congrats!

I managed a RTTY QSO on 15 a few minutes after making that post; went out
for a bike ride, and when I got back caught 'em on 12m CW and SSB and on
10m SSB. (they were spotted on 10 CW at the time as well, but not even a
hint here on CW.)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale:
http://www.w9wi.com/articles/4sale.htm

I gave the 28023 a listen and could just tell they were there. Quite
interesting tho.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 16th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Dan/W4NTI

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:21:09 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

[snip]

Conditions are much better today to 3Y0 land. Just went to listen on
14.023
and there they were. Put in the second VFO and found who he was in QSO
with. Made exactly 1 call. He came right back. That's with 500w to
Mosley
3 element.

Same here. One call.

Forty was an entirely different can of worms. What an embarrassment.
A pack of untrained chimpanzees would have been better operators;
although I'm damning chimpanzees with faint praise.

I know....I listened on 40 the other evening. I left.

Dan/W4NTI

Old February 18th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
J. Mc Laughlin

The old rule is to consider incompetence prior to considering veniality.
What we have heard is likely to be due to a lack of understanding and
mentoring. Who would continue to call while 3X is responding? Who would
dump their call more than once when a partial call is used by 3X? .. on and
on.

A need exists to explain the ineffectiveness and inappropriateness of
the strange things we heard. I do not have in mind an effective way to do
the training. QST reaches too few of the problems. Dayton would only reach
the convinced. Let us think how it might be done. The next DX group might
not have such good natures as this group and we could suffer for it.

A contributing cause on CW might be too little use of break-in.

Please note that I am not talking about the 3X operators.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old February 18th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
A need exists to explain the ineffectiveness and inappropriateness of
the strange things we heard. I do not have in mind an effective way to do
the training. QST reaches too few of the problems. Dayton would only reach
the convinced. Let us think how it might be done. The next DX group might
not have such good natures as this group and we could suffer for it.

People have to be reached in their local clubs and by the people who
give them their exams. In a perfect world, to get a license you'd have
to make some number of QSOs under supervision of an already-licensed
operator who would monitor your procedures. (maybe disclose the call of
your "sponsor" in the FCC DB, so that if W9WI vouches for KM4XYZ and
KM4XYZ turns out to be a lid, it reflects poorly on me as well...)

That's probably not practical.

Radio clubs in Oak Ridge and Milwaukee recently held local 2-meter
contests. Maybe some kind of similar small-scale pileup training events
could be held, maybe at larger hamfests?

It's important to teach operators what proper practice is, it's also
important to ensure they know that just because they hear a practice on
the air doesn't mean it's right!

A contributing cause on CW might be too little use of break-in.

I really don't think the lack of break-in is the problem; it tells you
when to *stop* transmitting, but if you shouldn't have *started*
transmitting in the first place...

On a more or less related subject, I noted yet *another* "bust" of
3Y0X's call on DX Summit this morning. This time, he was promptly
spotted again by someone else with the same busted call. For such a
well-publicized DXPedition you'd think people could get their call right
even without being able to copy the DX!

It would be interesting to send a few envelopes to the QSL Bureau with
some of these "packet bust" calls & see how many cards one picks upgrin!

Old February 18th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
s. hanrahan

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:50:20 -0600, Win wrote:

You just about have to work a weak signal to work him. They are
running veticals on 30 and 40, wire on 80, and steppers on 10, 15, and
20. last night (Saturday) the pile was as wide as the band, for the
most part. But he was about 559 on 30, 40, and 80 cw for about 5
house each. With that many people calling him, it is pot luck anyway.

I managed to work him on 30 Mtrs at 0639 last night. That seemed to
be the best band because there was fewe lids and less QRM on his
frequency. Bu,t I really need him on 40 or 80 for five band.

I will be there again tonight.

Win

Got him on 40 SSB and 40 CW. Two calls on SSB, and CW took about an
hour and a half. Didn't even use a spotter.

Stacey, AA7YA

Old February 20th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Ray Rocker

In article .net,
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
Any chance you guys that have worked them or even heard them could put it on
here so the rest of the folks could stand a chance.

Seems every time I get on where there supposed to be the signals are poor to
say the least.

At the very moment your post was dated, I was in the pileup for them
on 17 meters. g

Made the QSO 15 minutes later. I was running 200W to a 160m dipole
through a tuner (the only antenna I have at the moment). I'm pleasantly
surprised that I got through at all...

-- Ray WQ5L

any news from 3Y0X... Zlatko Feric Dx 1 February 7th 06 02:37 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #746 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Dx 0 February 5th 06 10:57 PM
3Y0X DXpedition - postponed Charlie Dx 0 February 18th 05 02:06 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 11:27 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 11:27 AM