Old February 8th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Wes Stewart

Default 3Y0X

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:17:45 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

Wes Stewart wrote:
High line noise here but worked him fairly easily on 20 meters.

Congrats!

Likewise.

Likewise here (except no line noise!) on 17 CW.

Much to my surprise, the lids weren't out either. A brief burst of
someone asking three times whether the 3Y transmit frequency was in use
(and being answered "YES!!!" each time by half the planet) but that was
about it. Almost nobody calling out of turn. Pretty amazing.
Difference between this and the pile on the 6O last week? No idea.
Just because it was 17m? Doesn't seem likely but you never know...

I was having a tough time hearing him through the noise but things
seemed to be rather controlled on 20 also. The op seemed to take a
break (maybe he announced it but I didn't hear it) for a few minutes
and the calling stopped.

I waited and when he (or another op) returned, I got him on about the
fourth or fifth call. The noise had also dropped a bit which helped.

Needed for alltime new one here. Will try to catch them for additional
band-countries (and hopefully on RTTY at some point) but won't be
beating my head against the wall to do it.

Same here. Would like him on 80 mainly cuz I need some more countries
on 80, but the prop forecasts say it ain't going to happen.

Signal seems MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the last Peter I expedition.

Couldn't say, I wasn't on then, nor for any of the Heard expeditions
. May never get that one.

Old February 9th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Doug Smith W9WI

Spent a bit of time on them on 30 and 40 last night without success.
They seemed to be having some trouble pulling people out of the mess on
30 - it could be as much as 2 minutes between QSOs. (I suppose it could
be they were distracted by non-radio support activities at this point in
the expedition!)

On 40, unfortunately the lids were out in full force.

Ironically, the ones intentionally trying to interfere with the 3Y
operation were essentially ineffective. It was never difficult to know
what the 3Y was sending.

It was the lids who *didn't* have malicious intent who were causing the
most grief - the continuous callers who made it nearly impossible to
find the station the 3Y was working.

I did work FO/DL1AWI on 80. If they aren't in French Polynesia (haven't
looked 'em up yet) then they're a new one on that band. He'd been
working on 3506.5; he vanished, then popped back up calling CQ on 3508 -
I worked him on the first call out of the CQ. Sometimes you luck outgrin!

Couldn't say, I wasn't on then, nor for any of the Heard expeditions
. May never get that one.

Ouch.

I have worked Heard twice (sorryg) but there's never been much signal
there.

But the most interesting thing about DX in the new millenium is how
dynamic the Most Wanted lists have become. Who'd have thought: KP1 &
KP5 becoming nearly impossible, while you can work ZA and BY during any
contest?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Ham stuff for sale:
http://www.w9wi.com/articles/4sale.htm

any news from 3Y0X... Zlatko Feric Dx 1 February 7th 06 01:37 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #746 Tedd Mirgliotta (KB8NW) Dx 0 February 5th 06 09:57 PM
3Y0X DXpedition - postponed Charlie Dx 0 February 18th 05 01:06 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM
DXpedition to Peter Island 3Y0X Thierry Dx 0 December 20th 04 10:27 AM