Old August 17th 03, 04:08 AM
Harry George

Default NAQP etiquette?

More newbie questions. Of course the answers will probably come after
the contest is over, but it would be information for next time.

I stumbled onto the North American QSO party and responded to 3 CQ's
before I realized what was happening. Then I found and read the rules
on the web. What I can't figure out is:

a) I have no intention of competing. Should I just stay out of this,
and go find other places in the spectrum? Or should I dive in, and
respond to any stations I can reach?

b) Do I need to turn in a log for those 3 contacts (and any more if
"a" is "go for it"), so that the other guys' logs can be confirmed?

c) I heard some people asking for QSLs. I've just been reading about
WAS and see that NAQP could be a great way to get some states. But I
also realize that a contest is a hectic time for anything as civilized
as QSL cards. What's considered proper form here?

KD7VEY
Harry
Old August 17th 03, 08:07 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Harry George wrote:

I stumbled onto the North American QSO party and responded to 3 CQ's
before I realized what was happening. Then I found and read the rules
on the web. What I can't figure out is:

a) I have no intention of competing. Should I just stay out of this,
and go find other places in the spectrum? Or should I dive in, and
respond to any stations I can reach?

Whatever turns you on. Some compete seriously, some leisurely, some just
make a few QSOs and some stay away.

b) Do I need to turn in a log for those 3 contacts (and any more if
"a" is "go for it"), so that the other guys' logs can be confirmed?

No. As long as you don't show up in just one claimed log (i.e. a
unique), your QSOs will be valid for the stations who worked you.
However, contest organizers encourage sending in "check" logs.

c) I heard some people asking for QSLs. I've just been reading about
WAS and see that NAQP could be a great way to get some states. But I
also realize that a contest is a hectic time for anything as civilized
as QSL cards. What's considered proper form here?

No one is stopping you from mailing your QSL and a SASE to the US
stations you worked. You don't have to make an official on-air request
for the QSL. Use qrz.com for the address lookup and most people will
send you their card back. As for the ones who don't - never work them
again in any contest, ever, until the end of time.

73 .... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old August 17th 03, 02:43 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Harry George" wrote in message
More newbie questions. Of course the answers will probably come after
the contest is over, but it would be information for next time.

I stumbled onto the North American QSO party and responded to 3 CQ's
before I realized what was happening. Then I found and read the rules
on the web. What I can't figure out is:

a) I have no intention of competing. Should I just stay out of this,
and go find other places in the spectrum? Or should I dive in, and
respond to any stations I can reach?

Respond to as many or as few as you want. The serious contestants want as
many points as they can get and NEED the casual contestors. Without the
casual contesters, the scores would stay pretty low. I think I worked 20
stations and then decided I'd rather watch old movies this weekend.

b) Do I need to turn in a log for those 3 contacts (and any more if
"a" is "go for it"), so that the other guys' logs can be confirmed?

You don't have to but with only three, you probably should. This prevents
your contact from being tossed out or their logs as "unique." If a couple
of those three got it wrong, it would not only be tossed out of those two
for errors but out of the third one as it becomes a "unique".

c) I heard some people asking for QSLs. I've just been reading about
WAS and see that NAQP could be a great way to get some states. But I
also realize that a contest is a hectic time for anything as civilized
as QSL cards. What's considered proper form here?

Many do not send QSL cards automatically. However proper etiquette is that
if you send them one with an SASE, they should send one back. Now some of
these people may not actually have cards since they do not QSL regularly.
The really conscientious ones (if they do not have cards) will write the
info on a blank 3.5" x 5" card or an interesting postcard or just a sheet of
paper and reply that way. For the various awards available, it only has to
be written/printed document not specifically a card. The cards are more
convenient to file and handle however.

Here is the actual definition of QSL.

QSL? - Do you acknowledge receipt?
QSL - I acknowledge receipt.

The use QSL is to confirm that the information has been sent or received.
It doesn't really refer to a card in its basic definition. Thus, a "QSL
card" means written confirmation.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Howdy Harry -- NO you do not "have to be in the contest" to make QSo's, nor
send in a log. So dive in!

In fact -- contesters appreciate non participants so as to increase their
scores.

Contesters are trying to maximize their scores (time is of the essence), so
best not engage them in chatter like "What's the QSL route"

For US states -- just go to QRZ or Buckmaster and mail them an SASE. (Self
Addressed Stamped Envelope). They can receive hundreds of QSL requests so
helping them with return postage is the usual.

For DX -- see Pathfinder for the QSL route URL:
http://www.qsl.net/pathfinder/WebClient/

Have fun -- and if you get a lot of QSO's -- sending in a log is no big
deal.