Old March 3rd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

Default Use of 99 after signing 73

Heard a USA station sign off with the usual 73 followed by 99

What's that ?

10-10 code for mission complete

CB number ?

or another adding numbers like 73 + 88 =161 (yuk)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 4th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Mike Luther

Gee this has changed from what I learned 50 years ago but haven't heard in
years if what you post is true.

SMØIMJ wrote:
Hi,
99 = **** Off
Unfortunately...

Good thing; not very often used...

73's Hans - SMØIMJ

Caveat Lector wrote:
Heard a USA station sign off with the usual 73 followed by 99

What's that ?

10-10 code for mission complete

CB number ?

or another adding numbers like 73 + 88 =161 (yuk)

I was taught back in the days of my First Tel commercial that it means love and
kisses. The reason it isn't seen often, so I thought I knew/know is that there
are few such contacts for real in most of our telegraph relationships! But you
saw it a little more often in messages for third party delivery. Has it
morphed into a distasteful connotation, or was I 'trained' improperly?

W5WQN
Old March 4th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

For W5WQN
88 "love and kisses" was documented in Dodge's early 1900's book "The
Telegraph Instructor"
Not sure that 99 is in Dodge's book as I don't have a copy

Are you sure that 99 was "love and kisses" or are you confusing it with 88

Thanks for your input

Old March 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Mike Luther

You are dead on correct .. I was thinking about what is 88 not 99 .. Sorry .

Elder moment.. sigh .

Old March 5th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

No problem Mike -- gettin that way myself

I think the only 99 left is from the old telegraph codes see URL:
http://ac6v.com/73.htm#73
There an unofficial report of 99 = "Get Lost"

Doesn't make sense to bid someone 73 then tell them to get lost

Oh well

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Mike Luther" wrote in message
You are dead on correct .. I was thinking about what is 88 not 99 .. Sorry
.

Elder moment.. sigh .