Old October 8th 03, 03:38 PM

22. Lew Gordon, K4VX
23. Bob Cox, K3EST
24. Carl Cook, AI6V
25. Gordon Marshall, W6RR
26. John Devoldere, ON4UN
27. Jorge Humberto Bozzo, LU8DQ
28. John Dorr, K1AR

Attached Images
File Type: gif rite.gif (79 Bytes, 62 views)
Old October 8th 03, 05:05 PM
Brian Kelly

(Michael Black) wrote in message ...
"Dan/W4NTI" (w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com) writes:
Another real ham goes Silent Key. 73 old man.

Dan/W4NTI

Although, the case could be made that he wasn't a real ham.

Yes, he was an important part of ham radio for some years. But I
always got the impression, and the story suggests the same, that
he was interested in amateur radio beyond communication for
his sailing voyage. It always seemed like once he had that in place
for his own reasons, he discovered amateur radio beyond that. Amateur
radio gave him a reason to wander, because it gave him a reason for
visiting plenty of isolated locations for more of a reason than because
they were there. The fact that he pretty much disappeared after
Yasme was over, not being interested in DXing those exotic locations,
leaves in question how much of a ham he was, his contribution to
the hobby notwithstanding.

One might compare Danny to Gus Browning. The latter started
out in amateur radio at a young age, and went on the tour to put
many countries on the map. But then when that was over, he was
still considered a high power DXer, publishing DX Magazine for many
years.

Michael VE2BVW

First off I don't agreee with these sorts of "categorizations". The
implication here is that you consider Gus a "better ham" than Danny
was and I reject the concept. Categorically. Plus dissing Danny a half
century after he lit up the bands is not exactly a class act Michael.

Danny never made any bones about the intent and purpose of his ham
activities. We kept his boat(s) afloat which was his need and he
shipped the cards which was our need. And there isn't any more to it
than that.

His format has been followed innumerable times since, i.e. hams with
marginal and/or short term interests in the hobby or DXing putting new
ones on the air. If the cards they've sent over the years hit the
no-counters pile your own totals and the Honor Roll membership count
would drop like rocks.

w3rv

Old October 8th 03, 06:34 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well said.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 9th 03, 11:44 AM
Brian Kelly

"Key Largo" wrote in message news:6kVgb.58222$Ms2.26974@fed1read03...
More old time DXers at URL:
http://home.swipnet.se/dx/porthole/index.htm

And the CQ Contest Hall Of Fame at URL:
http://cqww.com/hof-history.html
73 From Key Largo

INCLUDES Famous DXers
1923
DU7CC
VP2VB
W4BPD
BRS-3129
W9WNV

AARGH!!. . never mind . .

W6AM

W6AM tale: My second transmitter was a $29.95 Heathkit AT-1 I'd
cobbled together. The only FT-243 xtal I owned was 7.060. Xtals were
EXPENSIVE boy! Which when doubled put me on 14.120. Kinda useless freq
for dxing so I had to really scrounge for contacts. CQ, CQ, CQ, CQ ad
infinitum after school with all 3-5 watts of RF out or whatever it
was. Finally a CT1 found me and we latched up for several days
running. After some number of days another station called out of
nowhere, it was W6AM mobile running CW from his car. So 14.120 got to
be a three-way round table around 5pm Eastern Time for days on end. At
the time I had no idea who W6AM actually was except that his name was
Don and he was a really neat guy. I have a W6AM card.

K3ZO
ZS4TX
KV4AA
OH2BH

OH2BH/ZA. Tally ho!!

SMØAGD
P5/RØMEO
SMØCNS/4E7
SM1CNS
SM6CNS
SM6CNS/MM

The CQ Contest List
1. Hazzard "Buzz" Reeves, K2GL
2. Katashi Nose, KH6IJ

Good 'ole Hammer Fisti the Kamikazi of 80 & 40M

3. Al Slater, G3FXB
4. Martti Laine, OH2BH
5. Bernie Welch, W8IMZ
6. Leonard Chertok, W3GRF
7. W. Gerry Mathis, W3GM

Yeah, Gerry W3BES/W3GM. The radio god in these parts, my all-time
great mentor. EVERYBODY'S mentor, that's the way he was. I yakked with
Gerry on the club machine one day then found out he passed away two
days later. Dredge up QSTs from the late '40s and early '50s and check
the glossy back cover RCA power tubes division ads for a look at Gerry
himself and the collection of the gorgeous monster amps he designed
and built.

8. Frank Anazlone, W1WY
9. Jim Lawson, W2PV

.. . . talk about hammers . . !

10. Ed Bissell, W3AU
11. Fred Laun, K3ZO
12. Vic Clark, W4KFC
13. Rush Drake, W7RM
14. John Thompson, W1BIH
15. Atilano de Oms, PY5EG
16. Herb Becker, W6QD
17. Jim Neiger, N6TJ
18. Tine Brajnik, S50A
19. Dick Norton, N6AA
20. Ken Wolff, K1EA
21. Ville Hiilesmaa, OH2MM
22. Lew Gordon, K4VX
23. Bob Cox, K3EST
24. Carl Cook, AI6V
25. Gordon Marshall, W6RR
26. John Devoldere, ON4UN

In a class *all* by himself.

27. Jorge Humberto Bozzo, LU8DQ
28. John Dorr, K1AR

CQ never heard of HZ1HZ or what? And where is W3LPL please??

What kinda goofy list is this anyway??

w3rv

Old October 9th 03, 02:34 PM
Peter Lemken

In rec.radio.amateur.dx Brian Kelly wrote:
"Key Largo" wrote in message news:6kVgb.58222$Ms2.26974@fed1read03...
W9WNV

AARGH!!. . never mind . .

AE6IY ;-)

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Mail an die im From: angegebene Adresse stellt eine Beauftragung zur
Überprüfung der Mailfunktion des Absenders dar und wird mit einer