Old March 17th 04, 02:44 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Walt Davidson wrote:

EU signals are ancient history here on 10-15m

Oh really? I worked a whole bunch of W6, W7 and VE7 on 15m in the
ARRL DX Contest - both the CW and the SSB sections.

How many have you worked outside of contests?

73 ... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old March 17th 04, 08:19 AM
Peter Dougherty

You're also extremely fortunate to be living
on the west coast, however, where you have a *much* greater shot at
working the rare Asian and south pacific entities that are never even
a blip on my S-meter.

Uhm... you might want to reconsider this one. I also lived in Canada
(VA3GW) for eight years, so I know first hand the difference in
propagation. Of course, every part of the world has condx somewhere, but
at least on the East Coast you have free access to Europe almost all the
time, while EU signals are ancient history here on 10-15m, and on 17 and
lower they suffer from the auroral path attenuation, i.e. nothing heard.
Maybe no big deal for casual dxing,

Thing is, though, there are a Metric Sh*tload of european stations,
and frankly, bagging a G, F, I, EA/6/8, LZ, EU,EW, OZ,ON, etc are as
easy as pie with even marginal condx. Getting each of these confirmed
on all of the higher bands isn't too difficult, though admittedly it's
getting a little harder as cycle 23 goes into the crapper. There are
FAR fewer Pacific and south/southeast Asia entities active, however,
and from the Left Coast, you will work them with wires and stock power
easily when not even 5 elements and legal limit will rattle their cage
from the East Coast. By contrast, I've not worked a JA on any band in
2 years, with the exception of three on 15m during ARRL-DX.

I've not heard JT once since ARRL-DX last year (whom I thankfully
worked for my WAZ the very last day I was ever able to hear him).

I've not heard BY once since getting them on 15 in 2001. I've never
gotten XX9, VR2, XY, A5, 9N, V8, 9V and a whole host of entities from
those regions that with modest propagation I'm sure those in 6-land
can pick off even now.

but there is no way in hell anyone
from the left coast ever wins any contest over the East Coasters.

Yes, I can understand that contesting from any place other than the
East Coast must be incredibly difficult. I would venture to say that
the rules should be modified to either give 6/7 stations a better
fighting chance.

I like the weather much more than VE3, though...

Even NYC weather is better than Toronto. (ex/still VE3THX)

Go, Raptors.

Go Leafs Go

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old March 17th 04, 08:27 AM
Peter Dougherty

gd said :

Oh, I'll get hammered for this but here goes. I'd argue that the skill
level of the operator is inversely proportional to the width of the
split. Martti might ask for stations to call up 5 to 10, or maybe 5 to
15. He has a very high q/minute rate. When some ops say listening up,
and they really mean listening up 5 to 50, their rates go the the dumper
because they are spinning the dial way up trying to find one they can
make out and sometimes call a guy who could care less, stepping on other
operators all the while.

I've heard some real winners listening up 5-50. Trindade - PW0T was
*terrible* in their first three or four days for doing just that. They
took up most of 15 and 20's DX phone segments because they just didn't
know how to listen all that well, or at least, that's the way it
sounded from this end of the pileup. On the other hand, I'd venture to
guess that when a place like PW0T goes up for the first time in a long
time, with a kick-ass signal like they had, that the wall of noise
they probably faced would make most of us faint dead away.

Personally, I'd like to have Martti cloned grin. We need (at least)
one Martti on each DXpedition! I do hope to one day be part of a
DXpedition on which he's at the helm.

Maybe, the name Martti could be transformed into a base unit of
measurement of how well a DXpedition performs. "Yeah, that XF4
operation was at least .8 Martti on 15, but only half a Martti on 40."

Old March 17th 04, 09:41 AM
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:44:28 GMT, Zoran Brlecic
wrote:

Walt Davidson wrote:

EU signals are ancient history here on 10-15m

Oh really? I worked a whole bunch of W6, W7 and VE7 on 15m in the
ARRL DX Contest - both the CW and the SSB sections.

How many have you worked outside of contests?

Why should a contest make a difference to the propagation conditions?

Level of activity and use of stations that are rarely manned outside
contests maybe?

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly

Old March 17th 04, 09:43 AM
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:

If you think the Pacific is tough from the East Coast, you should try
working that part of the world from Western Europe with wire antennas!
It's actually easier on 3.5 MHz than on the higher bands.

What makes you say that? Your four-square on 80?

Peter Lemken
Berlin

Old March 17th 04, 05:47 PM
Peter Dougherty

Walt Davidson said :

If you think the Pacific is tough from the East Coast, you should try
working that part of the world from Western Europe with wire antennas!
It's actually easier on 3.5 MHz than on the higher bands.

I can imagine it must be very tough, and especially with a 400W power
limit. I'd wager even a modest tower with a 4 or 6 element yagi would
be rough for the South Pacific.

On the other hand, the Middle East (e.g. YI, YK, etc) is a snap from
here.

....Which are extremely difficult to work from the east coast of NA.
Propagation seems to die anywhere east of 4X. I've Israel and Jordan
easily a couple of years ago (only a couple of 4X's this past 12
months), but never a YK or beyond. When I se YIs spotted, they're but
a faint whisper here, if anything.

On the other hand, I'm less than 3 miles from one of the rarest
entities on the bands...4U1UN. A couple of weeks ago it was activated
for one day -- a day I happened to be home with nothing better to do
than follow them all over the bands. Unfortunately for them, nothing
was open above 15 meters so they were only working locals on 10 and
12, and little more than locals on 15 and 17 that day, but I managed
to snag them on all bands I operate on within a couple of hours.

I look to entities like 4U1UN, FP, CY0 and CY9 (any maybe YV0 if they
ever get on the air) as a consolation for missing the P5 and never
hearing any of the rare southeast Asians. I can hit these with my eyes
closed, although FP, CY9 and CY0 are too close to get on 10 and 12
when those bands are open.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 44 December 11th 04 02:05 AM
Wrong S-meter in Hallicrafters SX-28? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 0 December 7th 04 10:44 PM
WRONG PHONETICS Caveat Lector Dx 1 September 21st 03 04:22 PM
FS: Ten Tec Omni D - sorry wrong email addr. before! GS Boatanchors 0 July 16th 03 07:24 PM