Old April 5th 04, 01:06 AM
Drink

Default Logging Program Suggestions?

I'm interested in using a logbook program but there are so many, I don't
know where to start. I already have/plan to use some DXSoft software and
would like it to be compatible. What are some of the better programs
available? Pro's, Con's, Opinions? What's the standard format to look for
and use? What's good to use for eQSL and contest log submission?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Old April 5th 04, 02:18 AM
Drink

I apologize for posing such a common question. I logged in to the NG and
spit it out before downloading all the posts. I still appreciate opinions,
though.
On a separate yet related note, is there a repository for answers grouped
together to this type of common inquiry? (Web page vice 1,000,000 posts)
o_o_o_o
Best Regards, /| ,[_____],
Jim, WP3JQ |¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
EM60qk 30.447439N 086.628959W

Old April 6th 04, 02:24 AM
Peter Dougherty

"Drink" said :

I'm interested in using a logbook program but there are so many, I don't
know where to start. I already have/plan to use some DXSoft software and
would like it to be compatible. What are some of the better programs
available?

HI,

Better is, of course, a very subjective term. I suppose it's all
dependant on what you want versus how much you're prepared to pay for
it. I've written somewhat extensively on this topic in the past and a
Google search should turn up the posts, but I'll condense it to a few
paragraphs, below.

I consider myself a sophisticated software user and I make very strong
demands on application I put on my hard drive. I've tried dozens of
logging applications, and I've settled on two. I have one
fully-featured DX logger that handles everything except contesting,
and one very powerful contest-only logger.

For General DX, I use DX Base.

Pros:
* The most powerful amateur radio DX logging app there is.
* Seamless integration of cluster spots (VHF and Internet).
* Full QSL management,labels, cards printed from app.
* Can control two radios and two rotors, if necessary.
* Good Windows "Look and Feel"
* Integration with DX Atlas/IonoProbe for good DX plotting
* Logbook Of The World support
* Support for the GO List internal
* Excellent reports and good data manipulation.

Cons:
* $99 to buy first-time, then $35 a year for new editions.
* Pain to install new/update (requires re-setting everything manually)
* Steep learning curve (after 3 years I still find new features).
* CW sending from keyboard problematic; no rigBlaster support.
* Re-arranging column orders a nightmare
* No data-entry window; must enter data to the logbook itself.
* No regular updates throughout the year.
* No support for popular MMTTY, MMSSTV or WinPSKse apps
* Some problems reading splits from the radio

The pros definitely outweigh the cons by a huge margin, but there are
indeed cons that have driven me nuts since I migrated to this app in
2002. Fair to say it sucks far less than anything else I tried. A new
version should be forthcoming in a few weeks which HOPEFULLY will
address some of these. The program is very robust and does most of
what I want.

As a runner up, I would suggest Logger32. It's also extremely powerful
and looks good too. I don't like its interface as much as DX Base, nor
does it handle advanced data searches and QSL labels (if it does, I
haven't found those features yet). It also supports more radio models
than DX Base does. Oh, did I mention, it's FREE?

For contesting, I've settled on N1MM Logger. Very powerful, very
robust and full-featured. It supports every major contest and is
phenomenally intuitive to use right off the bat. Once you get the hang
of it, you can also delve MUCH deeper and use some absolutely amazing
features. I'm betting there's a lot of stuff I still haven't
discovered about it yet (as I only really do 3 contests a year).
You'll find updates posted to their site every few days and it's
completely free! It supports multi-multi networked logging, and can
even be used for limited purposes as a general DX logger or as a
DXpedition logger.

I've been told that Writelog is the de facto standard for contest
loggers used by most of the big powerhouse contest stations, however.
I don't know - I've never used it and I would hate to part with N1MM
for a $75 application that would probably work just as well as N1MM.
Maybe someday I'll give Writelog a shot during a major 'test and see
how it performs.

IN short, if you're more concerned about price, then there are plenty
of good free loggers out there that are worth looking at, none more
powerful that I've found than those mentioned above. If you'd rather
have "simple" loggers, then I don't know what to suggest - I gave up
"simple" 3 years ago (though AA Log was pretty nice).

Good luck and have fun!

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old April 6th 04, 05:53 AM
Dave, AA6YQ

Have you tried DXLab, Peter?

- transceiver control (Elecraft, Kenwood, Icom, TenTec, Yaesu) includes
readouts for frequency-dependent devices like tuners and amplifiers

- can control up to 3 transceivers, switching among them automatically
based on frequency or manually by mouse-click

- comprehensive logging that independently tracks hardcopy, eQSL, and
LotW confirmation status for each QSO, with reporting, filtering,sorting
(and full SQL access for those interested)

- prints cards and labels directly, but can export CSV for external
printing

- "round-trip" interoperation with both eQSL.cc and LotW

- provides a native world map with point & click rotator control, but
optionally interoperates with DX Atlas

- supports soundcard PSK31, PSK63, and RTTY (using the MMTTY engine),
with broadband PSK decoding that reports all callsigns heard within a 3.5
khz band segment

- collects DX spots from up to 4 telnet clusters and a VHF packet cluster
and combines spots of the same DX on the same band and mode into a single
entry with filtering and sorting

- collects WWV spots and presents graph of key solar parameters over the
current solar revolution

- generates QST-style graphical propagation forecasts using the included
IONCAP engine, annotated with sunrise/sunset indications for both QTHs

- monitors propagation by automatically QSYing transceiver to follow a
specified IARU/HF beacon schedule (can rotate beam if so directed)

- includes Pathfinder, which searches more than 100 web sites for QSL
information, including the GO List (for subscribers)

- Windows-style GUI optimized for ease-of-use (no menus, tooltips
everywhere, comprehensive online help in HTML)

DXLab is entirely free, via www.qsl.net/dxlab .

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Old April 6th 04, 09:38 PM
Yodar

I use this

http://www.shortwavelog.com/

for my RX 320 and it offers far more features than I use...and it's
free! Still under development, the owner, Bob Sillet listens carefully
to all user input and is a very conscientious developer.

Log entries with a click of the mouse...internally resident databases of
at least a dozen kinds. The only manual entries are descriptions of
signal quality and any special comments you might choose.. There is a
usergroup on

yodar

Old April 7th 04, 03:21 AM
Peter Dougherty

"Dave, AA6YQ" said :

Have you tried DXLab, Peter?

I did try it out a few months back and I just didn't like the
interface. I didn't really put it through its paces - I just played
with it for a day or two. It certainly does sound fully-featured and
I like the integrated QSL/label feature and support for MMTTY, etc.
Frankly, though, I prefer menu-based apps.

I will likely stay with DX Base, though I may be able to recommend
DXLab if I really sit down and see what it can do.

Perhaps I'll DL the most recent version and have another go in the
next few days, since there sure as heck doesn't seem to be *any*
propagation in these parts lately. Personally, I think 3B9C used up
all the DX molecules in the ionosphere over the US northeast and we
have to wait for the next delivery. Hopefully that will happen before
T33C and ZS8 are over!

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

RS computer boat anchor logging program G. Doughty Boatanchors 0 October 24th 04 03:32 PM
QSO logging program that does ADIF Kirk Mohror Dx 10 March 18th 04 02:40 PM
QSO logging program that does ADIF Kirk Mohror Dx 0 March 13th 04 06:00 AM
Logging Program FAZAMY Dx 2 January 4th 04 08:09 PM
Logging Program FAZAMY Dx 0 January 4th 04 07:02 PM