Old May 25th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Radio TexMex

Default Is 6M open?

I don't have 6 meter capability yet but look forward to it. I've been
keeping an eye on the spot stats graph on http://propagation.hfradio.org/
and lately its been show A LOT of 6 meter activity. I was just wondering if
this chart reflects real world activity. Has anybody seen any kinds of 6
meter openings lately? If so, any DX?

- Matt
Old May 25th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
N1KI

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:27:23 -0500, Radio TexMex
wrote:

I don't have 6 meter capability yet but look forward to it. I've been
keeping an eye on the spot stats graph on http://propagation.hfradio.org/
and lately its been show A LOT of 6 meter activity. I was just wondering if
this chart reflects real world activity. Has anybody seen any kinds of 6
meter openings lately? If so, any DX?

- Matt

6 meters is always open if you use WSJT for meteor scatter. I have
been hearing e's openings here in EM75wx on most evenings. Signals
tend to be weak, but my antenna is not very high.

Old May 25th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

For actual 6M contacts -- go to a Packet cluster -- Type in SH/DX/26 50
Get the latest 26 spote on 50 MHz

DX Clusters on line at URL:
http://telnet.k6pbt.net/
Or
http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/

Here are some samples from URL:
http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/

G4PCI 50115.0 K1SG 55 2045 25 May
W3KWH 50102.0 OZ4VV 599 to en90 2045 25 May
K4RX-@ 50087.0 EI3IO qrm 2045 25 May
IZ5EKV 50097.6 N4BAA 539 in jn53oq Wkg many G 2044 25 May
GW7SMV 50096.5 K1TOL nice sigs 2044 25 May
N8CJK-@ 50103.0 EI5FK io51 5/5/9 en84 2044 25 May
N4BAA 50097.6 G3VYF 2043 25 May
IW0FFK 50100.5 K4QI stil 559 2043 25 May
F6FHP 50100.0 K4QI CQ solid 599 2043 25 May
SM6CMU 50093.7 W1JJ CQ 2043 25 May
G0JHC-@ 50097.0 K8CT 559 ALSO N4BAA UNDER 2043 25 May
-- CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old May 25th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

wrote:

I don't have 6 meter capability yet but look forward to it. I've been
keeping an eye on the spot stats graph on http://propagation.hfradio.org/
and lately its been show A LOT of 6 meter activity. I was just wondering
if
this chart reflects real world activity. Has anybody seen any kinds of 6
meter openings lately? If so, any DX?

- Matt

6 meters is always open if you use WSJT for meteor scatter. I have
been hearing e's openings here in EM75wx on most evenings. Signals
tend to be weak, but my antenna is not very high.

Although openings can occur just about anytime, May, June, and July are big
openings for sporadic E propagation
See URL:
http://home.swbell.net/pjdyer/cq/cq7208a.htm

One can work all 50 US Staes during these seasonal openings - A vertical and
100 Watts will do ya

It is starting up for this season. Have fun

Old June 2nd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
robert casey

Radio TexMex wrote:

I don't have 6 meter capability yet but look forward to it.

If you have a TV connected to an outdoor rooftop antenna, see if you get
any DX out of town channels channels 2 thru 6. As we all know TV ch 2
is just above 6M. A DX ch2 or 3 can serve as a beacon of sorts for 6M
band openings.
Old June 3rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
clark

hi,

most of the time, no but that just makes it more of a challenge to get
contacts.

if you want DX, you'll need horizontal polarized antenna for ssb/cw
and vertical polarization for FM.

Sure, you can use vertical for ssb/cw BUT you loose 20db from polarization
error.

Higher is better !

here is link for you

http://6mt.com/

good luck on 6 !

Old June 3rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

"clark" wrote in message
hi,

most of the time, no but that just makes it more of a challenge to get
contacts.

if you want DX, you'll need horizontal polarized antenna for ssb/cw
and vertical polarization for FM.

Sure, you can use vertical for ssb/cw BUT you loose 20db from polarization
error.

Higher is better !

here is link for you

http://6mt.com/

good luck on 6 !

Six meters tends to be seasonal for sporadic E skip and June and July are
big months. Listen in or check the packet clusters and the six meter
beacons.

Vertical vs Horizontal antennas. For line of sight communications, cross
polarization attenuation is very apparent. Generally use vertical antennas
for repeaters and horizontal for SSB and CW.

However if you are working skywave, during the height of the solar cycle, F2
skip will give tremendous distances and experts will advise that the
polarization of the wave can be skewed many times, so the polarization of
the antenna is not all that important. .But consensus is - 6M DXers prefer
horizontal antennas. Since we are approaching the bottom of the solar
cycle - forget about 6M F layer skip for another 5 or 6 years. But sporacic
E skip is somewhat independant of the solar cycle

For sporadic E skip, there is some evidence that the wave tends to maintain
its polarization for single hop.

But don't let that deter you from using a vertical antenna if that is all
you can manage. You will work out to 1200 miles or so on single hop sporadic
E and 2000 miles + on multi-hop.

From California, with a vertical antenna (10 feet above ground) and 100
Watts, I have worked 49 states including Hawaii and Alaska, several
Caribbean stations and over 200 grid squares. No biggie, but it takes time
and vigilance. The band can be open one day and totally dead the next day.

And six meter band privileges are open to all license classes except Novice.

Some URL's
http://www.ac6v.com/hambands.htm#50

Old June 4th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx
Caveat Lector

Was yesterday at 21:25 UTC. Multi-hop from Southern California to Naples
Florida about 2200 miles !

Also to Fort Worth and Corpus Christi, TX

With a vertical 10 feet off the ground and 100 Watts

--
CL -- I Multi-Hop, therefore I am