Old April 27th 04, 03:07 PM
KØHB

Default BPL Comments of President Bush in Minneapolis on April 26th

From: JBellows K0QB

To:
;n0b
etcom.com

Old April 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Minnie Bannister

Yes, the technical standards need to be changed to allow BPL: require
all power lines to be shielded.

Alan AB2OS

On 04/27/04 10:07 am KØHB put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace:

Old April 27th 04, 05:47 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Bob Schreibmaier wrote:
availability. That's not good enough for America. Tenth is 10
spots too low as far as I'm concerned. (Applause.)

Looks like his arithmetic is almost as good as his
grammar. He wants us to be 0th? 8^)

Well, that could just mean he's been spending his spare time learning
how to programgrin...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old April 27th 04, 06:11 PM
KØHB

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Bob Schreibmaier wrote:
availability. That's not good enough for America. Tenth is 10
spots too low as far as I'm concerned. (Applause.)

Looks like his arithmetic is almost as good as his
grammar. He wants us to be 0th? 8^)

Well, that could just mean he's been spending his spare time

learning
how to programgrin...
--

A friend of mine, K0TO, said If this wasn't the same Man who
declared that he was going to start a program to go to Mars, the

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 27th 04, 08:56 PM
Robert Casey

And so here are some smart things to do: One, increase access to
federal land for fiberoptic cables and transmission towers. That
makes sense. As you're trying to get broadband spread throughout
the company, make sure it's easy to build across federal lands.
One sure way to hold things up is that the federal lands say, you
can't build on us.

Most fibre optic cables use railroad right of ways. The railroad
already exists and
has direct paths from one city or town to another, and is one entity for
the firbre
company to lease from. And the railroads like having the extra income.
They bury
the cable off to one or both sides of the tracks and railroads are used
to heavy
equipment work being done. Railroads need communications for their signals
and keeping track of where the trains are and such anyway. So they throw in
extra fibre for that when installing the other fibre. And from those
towns fibre
is strung along telephone poles to reach that place out in the sticks.
Imagine
a high speed 'net link to Ted Clampet's shack he had before he got his
oil money....
"Wee Doggies, look at this porn"..... :-)

So how is some guy in remote Wyoming going to
get any broadband technology? Regulatory policy has got to be
wise and smart as we encourage the spread of this important
technology. There needs to be technical standards to make
possible new broadband technologies, such as the use of
high-speed communication directly over power lines. Power lines
were for electricity; power lines can be used for broadband
technology. So the technical standards need to be changed to
encourage that.

Yeah, BPL serving an entire remote town will give individual users
service that will
make 300 baud modems seem fast. How much stuff can you multiplex on one
set of
power cables feeding that town? Else you'd be talking about microwave
freqs to
get enough bandwidth.

And we need to open up more federally controlled wireless
spectrum to auction in free public use, to make wireless
broadband more accessible, reliable, and affordable. Listen, one
of the technologies that's coming is wireless.

Then we won't need powerline *wires*.....

And if you're
living out in -- I should -- I was going to say Crawford, Texas,
but it's not -- maybe not nearly as remote. (Laughter.) How about
Terlingua, Texas? There's not a lot of wires out there. But
wireless technology is going to change all that so long as
government policy makes sense.

And we're going to continue to support the Federal Communications
Commission. Michael Powell -- Chairman Michael Powell, under his
leadership, his decision to eliminate burdensome regulations on
new broadband networks availability to homes. In other words,
clearing out the underbrush of regulation, and we'll get the
spread of broadband technology, and America will be better for
it. (Applause.) "

And make sure we never see another bare breast again at halftime.