Old May 4th 04, 10:53 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Any recommendations for a new legal limit HF amp?

Rob
P.S. Since I do a lot of RTTY and SSTV, I am staying away from the solid
state amps.

Rob,

Don't buy anything until you hear it run. Some really make noise!
Old May 5th 04, 12:55 AM
Rob

Jeff Maass wrote:
Rob:

The 4CX800A tubes are far more cost effective than the 3CX1200A7.
I bought a tested pair of 4CX800As from Alpha for $221; the new
prices for the 3CX1200A7 are ~$800. The 4CX800As seem tough
and work well in my Alpha 91b amps.

I've used the AL-1200 (we have one at the PJ2T contest station). The
3CX1200A7 is an "instant on" tube (like the 3-500Z), and requires
nearly 100W drive for full output. It's considerably noisier than
the Alphas. The AL-1200 is a BIG package.

Many thanks for the info. Yes, noise is always a factor to consider. Too
bad most of the specs for amps do not list the noise in db!

The Alpha 91b/99 requires a 3 minutes warmup time, and requires
about 45 watts for full output. I consider this lower drive
requirement
a plus, since it means that my transceiver runs cooler during a
contest. The Alphas have much better circuitry to protect me from
errors made
when I'm tired and/or in the 'heat of battle'. It's considerably
better- built mechanically than the AL-1200.

There are other manufacturers making amps with the 4CX800A, and
any of these would be a good choice.

If you can think of any of manufacturers, please post them. The only
manufacturers of amps I know of are Alpha, Ameritron and Acon. (But
Ameritron does not seem to make amps wiith the 4CX800A tubes). I am sure
there must be other manufacturers I should consider.

Jeff K8ND

"Rob" wrote in message
. ..
Barry wrote:

Take a look at the Acom. I have the 2000A and run RTTY full power
in contests. My coax gets warmer than the amp :.) It uses the
Svetlana 4CX800A tubes, which are reliable, readily available and
inexpensive. If you don't want to spend the big bucks for autotune,
etc. look at
the 1000.
Barry W2UP

Thanks. First time I have heard about Acom. It looks like they
make very high quality amps (like the Aplhas).

I have aasked for prices since there doesn't seem to be any on the
Acom web site.

I noticed the Alpha 99 also uses the 4CX800A tubes.
Which tubes are better -- the 3X1200A7 or the 4CX800A?

Rob

Old May 5th 04, 01:48 AM

Take a look at TenTec. The original Titan amplifier was the best piece
of ham gear I ever owned.......

http://www.tentec.com/TT417.htm

73, Jim KH2D

Old May 5th 04, 01:55 AM
deje a lector guardarse

FYI: Some other amplifiers

Commander Amps URL:
http://www.command1.com/

Ten Tec Amps URL:
http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

Henry Amps URL:
http://www.radiodan.com/Henry/henry_spec_list.htm

ICOM
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/amps/

QRO Technologies
http://www.qrotec.com/

Emtron - Australia
http://www.emtron.com.au/amplifiers.html

Just FYI -- not any recommendations or comparisons to Alpha, Ameritron and
Acon

--
deje a lector guardarse

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

"Rob" wrote in message
Jeff Maass wrote:
[...]

"Rob" wrote in message
. ..

Old May 5th 04, 07:28 AM
Peter Lemken

In rec.radio.amateur.dx Rob wrote:

If you can think of any of manufacturers, please post them. The only
manufacturers of amps I know of are Alpha, Ameritron and Acon. (But
Ameritron does not seem to make amps wiith the 4CX800A tubes). I am sure
there must be other manufacturers I should consider.

The TenTec Titan 425 uses a pair of 3CX800A7 and is a great amplifier if you
do CW as your main mode since it does perfect QSK. The power supply is
separate from the amp itself so you can actually have it on a table in the
shack without it taking up too much space.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly

Old May 6th 04, 01:24 AM
Rob

deje a lector guardarse wrote:
FYI: Some other amplifiers

Commander Amps URL:
http://www.command1.com/

Ten Tec Amps URL:
http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

Henry Amps URL:
http://www.radiodan.com/Henry/henry_spec_list.htm

ICOM
http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/amps/

QRO Technologies
http://www.qrotec.com/

Emtron - Australia
http://www.emtron.com.au/amplifiers.html

Just FYI -- not any recommendations or comparisons to Alpha,
Ameritron and Acon

Thanks for all the links. I had bettter start clicking!

Rob