Old May 3rd 04, 11:49 PM
Rob

Default Need Recommendations for a New HF Amp

My trusted Amp Supply LK-500ZB got damaged after a lightning strike. I am
looking to replace this HF amp (which used two 3-500Z tubes).

Any recommendations for a new legal limit HF amp?

What about the Amritron amps?
The AL-82 uses two 3-500Z tubes.
The AL-1200 uses a 3CX1200A7.
The AL-1500 uses the 3CX1500A tube.

In 10 years time, which tube will be easiest to get?

Any other manufacturers I should consider?

Rob
P.S. Since I do a lot of RTTY and SSTV, I am staying away from the solid
state amps.

Old May 4th 04, 12:46 AM
KØHB

"Rob" wrote

What about the Amritron amps?
The AL-82 uses two 3-500Z tubes.
The AL-1200 uses a 3CX1200A7.
The AL-1500 uses the 3CX1500A tube.

AL-1200. This is one tough box! Full 1500W key down for as long as you
want.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 4th 04, 12:51 AM
Barry

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:49:55 -0400, "Rob" wrote:

My trusted Amp Supply LK-500ZB got damaged after a lightning strike. I am
looking to replace this HF amp (which used two 3-500Z tubes).

Any recommendations for a new legal limit HF amp?

What about the Amritron amps?
The AL-82 uses two 3-500Z tubes.
The AL-1200 uses a 3CX1200A7.
The AL-1500 uses the 3CX1500A tube.

In 10 years time, which tube will be easiest to get?

Any other manufacturers I should consider?

Rob
P.S. Since I do a lot of RTTY and SSTV, I am staying away from the solid
state amps.

Take a look at the Acom. I have the 2000A and run RTTY full power in
contests. My coax gets warmer than the amp :.) It uses the Svetlana
4CX800A tubes, which are reliable, readily available and inexpensive.
If you don't want to spend the big bucks for autotune, etc. look at
the 1000.
Barry W2UP
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

Old May 4th 04, 02:12 AM
Rob

Barry wrote:

Take a look at the Acom. I have the 2000A and run RTTY full power in
contests. My coax gets warmer than the amp :.) It uses the Svetlana
4CX800A tubes, which are reliable, readily available and inexpensive.
If you don't want to spend the big bucks for autotune, etc. look at
the 1000.
Barry W2UP

Thanks. First time I have heard about Acom. It looks like they make very
high quality amps (like the Aplhas).

I have aasked for prices since there doesn't seem to be any on the Acom web
site.

I noticed the Alpha 99 also uses the 4CX800A tubes.
Which tubes are better -- the 3X1200A7 or the 4CX800A?

Rob

Old May 4th 04, 05:02 PM
Jeff Maass

Rob:

The 4CX800A tubes are far more cost effective than the 3CX1200A7.
I bought a tested pair of 4CX800As from Alpha for $221; the new
prices for the 3CX1200A7 are ~$800. The 4CX800As seem tough
and work well in my Alpha 91b amps.

I've used the AL-1200 (we have one at the PJ2T contest station). The
3CX1200A7 is an "instant on" tube (like the 3-500Z), and requires
nearly 100W drive for full output. It's considerably noisier than
the Alphas. The AL-1200 is a BIG package.

The Alpha 91b/99 requires a 3 minutes warmup time, and requires
about 45 watts for full output. I consider this lower drive requirement
a plus, since it means that my transceiver runs cooler during a contest.
The Alphas have much better circuitry to protect me from errors made
when I'm tired and/or in the 'heat of battle'. It's considerably better-
built mechanically than the AL-1200.

There are other manufacturers making amps with the 4CX800A, and
any of these would be a good choice.

Jeff K8ND

"Rob" wrote in message
. ..

Old May 4th 04, 10:53 PM
Dick, AA5VU

Any recommendations for a new legal limit HF amp?

Rob
P.S. Since I do a lot of RTTY and SSTV, I am staying away from the solid
state amps.

Rob,

Don't buy anything until you hear it run. Some really make noise!