Old September 8th 04, 03:38 PM
m$

Email: g3nyy @despammed.com
"I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
software and decent hardware support."

....because I like to support monopolists and pay a lot of money - and I
am proud of it
Old September 8th 04, 04:42 PM
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:

"I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
software and decent hardware support."

So you run a business? Otherwise this kind of reasoning is rather pitiful
for someone using the computer as a hobby.

Hams used to be on the forefront of technology, these days they are mere
consumers.

Linux ist the best way to *understand* computers, use them as a tool for ham
radio operation, get your hands dirty with source code, look under the hood,
argue with developpers and do things that no commercial software company is
willing to give to them.

And yet all hams do is cry "Windows, Windows, Windows" and they are proud if
their system doesn't crash for one year, instead of making it crash so hard
that people can make it better. Windows is a security nighmare, it's a usability
nightmare and it's money thrown at a company that doesn't care about its
customers. Instead, they try to do whatever is possible to keep a monopoly,
force inferior standards upon the unwashed masses and keep you locked into a
proprietary system that you have no control over it. And you are glad to pay
for it.

Great attitude, Walt.

Kenwood guy comes to your doorstep and hands you a brandnew TS 820 and tells
you: Here is that rig, it's free and you can do with it what you want. Here
is all the technical details, all the manuals, the complete documentation,
together with a free support line to the guys who built it.

We value your input, because we realize that it's not perfect, but we want
to make it as perfect as possible and to do that we need your input. Please
use it, abuse it, use all modes, fiddle with the dials, send us your ideas
for improvement and we will definitely consider them and we do that we will
tell you what it is that we did with your suggestions. And when the new
TS930 is ready, we will send it to your doorstep, free of charge and will
thank you for your valuable assistance in making a better product.

*That* is what Linux is about.

It's not about the "better" system, it's about a system that let's you
participate in a technical revolution that has changed the world.

Peter Lemken
Berlin

PS: If you want to see what Open Source can do to your favorite hobby, take
a look at Elecraft's K2. They do what I described above and the result is an
outstanding piece of equipment, because they value input from their
customers. Their documentation is as good as it gets.

PS2: The line about "excellent network/internet software" is about the best
joke I've ever heard.

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly

Old September 8th 04, 05:31 PM
Peter Lemken

Walt Davidson wrote:
On 8 Sep 2004 15:42:06 GMT, (Peter Lemken)
wrote:

Hams used to be on the forefront of technology, these days they are mere
consumers.

I am a radio ham. Not a computer software engineer.

I am a radio ham. Not a computer software engineer.

Do you use your computer for ham radio?

PS: If you want to see what Open Source can do to your favorite hobby, take
a look at Elecraft's K2. They do what I described above and the result is an
outstanding piece of equipment, because they value input from their
customers. Their documentation is as good as it gets.

What does this have to do with Linux vs Windows?

It seems you have never heard of the term Open Source Software and what
makes it so fundamentally different from proprietary sofware. Sad.

Take a look how Elecraft develops its products, how they treat their
customers, value their input and improve their product by taking community
feedback into account.

Compare to Icom.

PS2:

Play Station 2?

Runs with Linux, yes.

The line about "excellent network/internet software" is about the best
joke I've ever heard.

No joke.

Oh. Just cluelessness then.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Old September 8th 04, 06:20 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-09-08, Peter Lemken wrote:

Kenwood guy comes to your doorstep and hands you a brandnew TS 820 and tells
you: Here is that rig, it's free and you can do with it what you want. Here
is all the technical details, all the manuals, the complete documentation,
together with a free support line to the guys who built it.

We value your input, because we realize that it's not perfect, but we want
to make it as perfect as possible and to do that we need your input. Please
use it, abuse it, use all modes, fiddle with the dials, send us your ideas
for improvement and we will definitely consider them and we do that we will
tell you what it is that we did with your suggestions. And when the new
TS930 is ready, we will send it to your doorstep, free of charge and will
thank you for your valuable assistance in making a better product.

*That* is what Linux is about.

This is the best comparison (ham radio/linux) that I have ever read, but you
forgot to add a few things, they include all of the tools and spare parts
that you need to make as many of the new radios that you want.

It's not about the "better" system, it's about a system that let's you
participate in a technical revolution that has changed the world.

I prefer:

"It's not about the 'better' system, but about making the system better"

--
Alex / AB2RC
Old September 8th 04, 06:20 PM
AB2RC

Old September 8th 04, 06:23 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-09-08, Walt Davidson wrote:

I am a radio ham. Not a computer software engineer.

I happen to be both, and so are several of the linux kernel developers.

--
Alex / AB2RC
Old September 8th 04, 06:23 PM
AB2RC

On 2004-09-08, Walt Davidson wrote:

I am a radio ham. Not a computer software engineer.

I happen to be both, and so are several of the linux kernel developers.

--
Alex / AB2RC

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1412 ­ September 3, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 September 4th 04 08:34 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1412 ­ September 3, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 September 4th 04 08:34 PM
To ALL DX! Me Dx 16 April 1st 04 06:52 AM
Antenna Restrictions -- What to Do ! Wilderness Keyboard Antenna 0 November 23rd 03 03:42 PM