Old October 25th 04, 09:22 PM
G. Doughty

Default New to DX with limited resources

Hello to all,

Looking to give DX a try. I have two attic dipoles for 20 and 40 meters. I
have a ten-tec scout 555 that runs 50 watts wide open. Anyways, I am trying
to find a "node" to use on my laptop but am unsure what I need. I think all
I need is a 10m radio (I have an htx 10) antenna (easy enough for a dipole
in the attic) and a computer. Is that true? Also, with the computer, I am
aware of Telnet, but how do I access a local node? I am probably talking
out of my arse, but I think it would be interesting to get it all hooked up.
I use a computer logger but I think I can access the node through a phone if
need be. If it sounds like I'm confused, I am. A little help will go a
long way.

Thanks so much

Old October 25th 04, 09:32 PM
G. Doughty

Test

"G. Doughty" wrote in message
Forgot to insert signature!

Old October 25th 04, 09:39 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Telnet connections can be found at URL:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/cluster.html

10M is pretty grim now as we are on the down slide of the solar cycle -- but
some openings are still occurring as you will see when you connect to a
packet cluster via telnet.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old October 25th 04, 09:44 PM
G. Doughty

Thank you, however, I do not have internet access upstairs. Only a phone
line. Is there a way to access via phone or is that too much to ask? I
don't have aol or anything, just broadband in one spot in the house and my
shack is upstairs.

Thanks again
Greg
ki4bbl

Old October 25th 04, 10:15 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

I have hi speed cable and I bought a router and connected my two computers
(upstairs and downstairs) via a run of lan line.

Another solution is to connect to a local VHF Packet Cluster. Check with
DXers in your area for a VHF packet cluster in your area.
U will need a VHF radio, a TNC, and a dumb terminal or computer.
Computer speed is not important for either method and any of the older desk
or laptops will work fine.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

"G. Doughty" wrote in message
Thank you, however, I do not have internet access upstairs. Only a phone
line. Is there a way to access via phone or is that too much to ask? I
don't have aol or anything, just broadband in one spot in the house and my
shack is upstairs.

Thanks again
Greg
ki4bbl

"Keyboard In The Wilderness" wrote in message
Telnet connections can be found at URL:

http://www.cpcug.org/user/wfeidt/Misc/cluster.html

10M is pretty grim now as we are on the down slide of the solar cycle --

but
some openings are still occurring as you will see when you connect to a
packet cluster via telnet.

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Antenna for 80m and limited space SMØIMJ Antenna 6 July 29th 06 08:54 PM
suggestions for a limited space HF antenna.. vertical or dipole N2EY Antenna 0 May 28th 04 09:15 PM
Comparative Reference to Internet Resources for Antennas and Other Related Topics pez/sv7bax/dag Antenna 0 April 16th 04 08:35 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 4 August 20th 03 06:03 PM
Isotron Limited Space Antennas Phil Dx 0 July 22nd 03 05:15 AM