Old July 22nd 03, 05:41 AM
Homac

Default Which rig to choose (FT-920 TS-570S IC-746 Pro)

I am having a heck of a time choosing between these three rigs. Any
personal experiences or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Yaesu FT-920 (incl YF116A & FM-1)
Kenwood TS-570S (incl YK-88SN-1 SSB filter)
Icom IC-746 Pro (no addons)

I am looking for reliability vs bells and whistles.....

Thanks in advance.....

Homac
(Please post responses)
Old July 22nd 03, 06:43 AM
Big Red

I have owned all 3 rigs...the 746 pro wins..HANDS DOWN!!! Much better
filtering! By FAR the best of the 3 radios!
m...

Old July 22nd 03, 11:00 PM

The FT-920 is the quietest rig I have ever owned. Very popular on 6 meters
too. You can find one used for $750 to 900 too.

73 Dave K4JRB

Old July 22nd 03, 11:00 PM

Old July 23rd 03, 06:41 AM
Homac

I think the Icom may have better numbers, however based on eHam
several users reported reliability issues. Perhaps they have since
ironed out the bugs??

"W6DKN" wrote in message ...
wrote:
The FT-920 is the quietest rig I have ever owned. Very popular on 6
meters too. You can find one used for $750 to 900 too.

73 Dave K4JRB

Everything's relative. I thought so too, until I upgrade to an Icom 756 Pro

73 de W6DKN

Old July 24th 03, 11:35 PM
Homac

"W6DKN" wrote in message ...
Homac wrote:
I think the Icom may have better numbers, however based on eHam
several users reported reliability issues. Perhaps they have since
ironed out the bugs??

I couldn't say. I bought mine when they first came out (the original Pro,
not the Pro II). It's been used almost every day since then, both at home
and mobile, and during field day contesting. It has always performed
superbly. I wasn't aware of any "bug" issues with the rig. Perhaps it might
relate to "pilot error" ?

73 de W6DKN