Old August 16th 03, 08:25 PM
John LeMay

Default Looking for this cigar lighter adapter

I recently purchased a used rig and along with it came a nice cigar
lighter adapter that terminated in two "lugs" with screw on caps for
attaching the power cable of the rig. There is no cord on this adapter
itself. Anyone know where I can find a couple more of these? They seem
ideal for running moderate powered mobile rigs ( 50W ).

thanks!

--
John LeMay
kc2kth

Old August 17th 03, 02:19 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

John FYI -- from a recommended book:
Mobile power. It is tempting to use the cigarette lighter plug for 12 Volts
to power the mobile radio and this may work for low power units, but it is
always best to run two heavy gage wires through the firewall and directly to
the battery via fuses in both lines. Don't use the chassis as a ground
return, ground loop problems and noise pickup may occur, run both + and -
lines to the battery. FM mobile transceivers with 50 W of output power can
draw up to 10-12 Amperes of current at 12 Volts. Most cigarette lighter
plugs cannot handle these high currents. Operating a 50 W mobile transceiver
from the cigarette lighter plug may cause permanent damage to vehicle's
electrical system, and can also be a fire hazard. You can probably operate a
6 W handheld transceiver from the cigarette lighter plug, but not a higher
wattage radio.
news

Old August 17th 03, 06:30 PM
John LeMay

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:19:00 -0700, Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

Mobile power. It is tempting to use the cigarette lighter plug for 12 Volts
to power the mobile radio and this may work for low power units, but it is
always best to run two heavy gage wires through the firewall and directly to
the battery via fuses in both lines. Don't use the chassis as a ground

While I agree, I'm looking for a portable solution to use in the 'yl's
vehicle so I can run a decent rig without drilling. I figure 10-20W is
adequate (I think the 1/4 wave antenna I have allocated for this use is
only rated at 20W anyhow). In a small temporary installation like this I
think using the lighter plug is good enough.

Of course while on the topic, What's the best way to connect to today's
side terminal batteries? I'd like to go from the battery's +/- in *my*
vehicle to a small fuse block where I can tie in before coming through the
firewall. Unfortunately I don't do a lot of auto wiring and firewall
drilling!

thanks!

Old August 17th 03, 10:28 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Auto stores will have a longer bolt for the side battery terminals or
adaptor kits if needed.
Use the right size heavy duty solder lugs for the connections.

I looked up my lighter circuit and it is 8 amps -- so 8 x 12 = 96 Watts --
at 50% or so efficiency -- should handle a 45 watt radio -- but that is
pushing it to say nothing of stray noise that may be introduced and a
possible voltage drop. Also the cigarette lighter may go thru the ignition
switching.

Somehow on all my cars I find a grommet that lets me get thru the firewall
without drilling.

news

Old August 17th 03, 11:07 PM
Radioman

Just looked up the current draw of an ICOM IC-2100H -- tis 12 Amperes on 50W
transmit.

I melted the solder right out of the fuse in the lighter plug with mine.
Only took about a day.

Other then Rigrunner, is there any source for powerpole distribution boxes?

Old August 17th 03, 11:13 PM
John LeMay

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:28:57 -0700, Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

I looked up my lighter circuit and it is 8 amps -- so 8 x 12 = 96 Watts --
at 50% or so efficiency -- should handle a 45 watt radio -- but that is
pushing it to say nothing of stray noise that may be introduced and a
possible voltage drop. Also the cigarette lighter may go thru the ignition
switching.

That was my thinking. As a note, I was just talking to a buddy of mine
with an Excursion. His "lighter plug" is actually labeled "accessory plug"
and had a 20A fuse in it from the factory. That tool replaced it with a
30A fuse so he could run his inverter rated at 25A. We won't discuss that
call any further.

Somehow on all my cars I find a grommet that lets me get thru the firewall
without drilling.

That's good to know. I'll have to poke around a bit more and see what I
can find in my 2002 Impala. I did have real good luck this afternoon on my
'97 Silverado 2500. The previous owner had already run 12g through the
firewall, so I had a hole to work with. I rewired it primarily because I
wasn't sure what he had done - it was a bit confusing.

Anyway, on the Silverado there are two "taps" - basically large studs -
along side of the fuse box. Each stud is hot and fused right in the box
with a 30A fuse. I made up a couple of cables and ran these right into the
cab using the existing hole. Found a good ground spot right on the
firewall, so it's nice and short as well! Both cables are about 5' in
length. Of course while these studs look stock (the fuse box cover
actually is molded to fit right over them) they might not be, so if
you happen to have a Silverado and don't see these studs don't blame me!

I'm sure the Impala won't be quite as easy.