Old August 22nd 03, 02:43 AM
Rich

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:55:35 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

I'd appreciate any comments, pro and con, from actual users of the
IC-706MKIIG. Performance, reliability, service problems, etc.

As it's described it seems to have features I'd like and need: small size,
both HF and VHF, and a reasonable power level. Any suggestions as to other
rigs with similar features would be appreciated also.

Marty K1FHR

hi, marty. i've got a MKIIG in my camper and use it when
camping...not as often as i'd like. no problems with it at all. it
performs well. i guess the only "complaint' i'd have is trying to
remember all of the functions. but that's a problem with most moden
rigs.

73,
rich, n9dko

Old August 22nd 03, 03:25 AM
sideband

Well, Martin, I use mine in my Semi truck, getting beat up by the
Arkansas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Arizona, and California
roads all the time as I roll on delivering freight. It's never let me
down once. One comment, though, if you plan on using it while rolling,
the narrow SSB filter is almost a MUST. Makes listening through the
"tire static" (yes, it really does exist. I have proof.) much easier.

73 de AI8W, Chris

Old August 22nd 03, 07:00 AM
Mark Keith

sideband wrote in message Makes listening through the
"tire static" (yes, it really does exist. I have proof.) much easier.

73 de AI8W, Chris

Yes it does exist. I bet the greater bulk of the noise I get at road
speeds is tire static. If I stop, even with the engine running, it's
pretty quiet. But at highway speeds, my noise will jump up a good bit.
I've heard of various cures, ranging from anti-static powder in the
tires, to springs you insert in the wheel bearing caps to make a
better electrical connection across the bearings I presume. I've never
bothered trying any of them yet. I just turn on the NB... MK

Old August 22nd 03, 12:41 PM
Bob Cook

Re 20 meter hamstick and AH-4:

Do you mean you are using an AH-4 to tune the 20 m hamstick
to other bands? If so, to which bands and what kind of SWR's?

Bob K9KKY

Old August 22nd 03, 02:09 PM
Nitespark

Bob Cook wrote:
Re 20 meter hamstick and AH-4:

Do you mean you are using an AH-4 to tune the 20 m hamstick
to other bands? If so, to which bands and what kind of SWR's?

Bob K9KKY

I have used it on 40 meters successfully and on 15 and 10. The SWR is
perfect. The efficiency of the system is not so good. I can do the
same thing with my Webster BandSpanner. My biggest problem is being
mobile when there is a band opening. Havn't found that many on 15 & 10
recently....at least when I have been in the car.

With the AH-4, it really doesn't matter what I put back on the antenna
mount. It will find he L/C combination and match it to the radio
(within reason of course...obviously can't use a 1/4 wave UHF spike on
40 meters). I have been looking around for a 102" CB whip. That would
work as well as anything.

Old August 22nd 03, 12:51 PM
Martin

Thanks for all of the comments and references. Obviously it's a well
thought of rig. I think it will suit my needs nicely.

After 41 years of hamming I decided give it up and recently sold, gave away
and junked a 50+ year accumulation of stuff. Made the xyl deliriously
happy.

Here we go again!

Marty K1FHR

.net...