Old August 20th 03, 08:33 PM

Default IC-706MKIIG Comments ??

If you have not done so yet, check out the user reviews for the 706 and
other rigs at http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

73

Paul AB0SI

"Martin" wrote in message
.net...
I'd appreciate any comments, pro and con, from actual users of the
IC-706MKIIG. Performance, reliability, service problems, etc.

As it's described it seems to have features I'd like and need: small size,
both HF and VHF, and a reasonable power level. Any suggestions as to

other
rigs with similar features would be appreciated also.

Marty K1FHR

Old August 20th 03, 08:53 PM
Fred

--
The XYL and I run one in the mobile rig. Performs very well in all
manners. Using a hustler fold over with the resonators we have worked a

Fred KE8TQ
Lorraine KC8HWV (the dyed in the wool county hunter)

Old August 20th 03, 09:35 PM
charles

I own one of them & also a Yaesu FT 857. I think with the combination of
the 857 & the ATAS 120 antenna my choice would definately go that way.
Charles

Old August 21st 03, 01:28 AM
CommCtr1

I've had both the original 706 and have had the MKIIG since 2001 and the
MKIIG is a great radio. I use it as my base radio. I love the radio, but the
only thing it doesn't have going is the ability to be programmed by PC. At
least I have yet to find a decent program for it.
There is much better software available for the Yaesu radio's. It makes it a
lot easier to program all the channels, if you're using for other than HF. I
use it for all the bands, so PC programming would be nice.
But like it just the same.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Lou

Old August 21st 03, 07:39 PM

In rec.radio.amateur.equipment Martin wrote:
I'd appreciate any comments, pro and con, from actual users of the
IC-706MKIIG. Performance, reliability, service problems, etc.

I got one a couple of months ago--they've dropped the price
and I couldn't resist. I got it really to work 6 meters but
wound up putting it in the car instead. I am REALLY impressed
with it. The DSP/auto-noise-reduction stuff seems to work
remarkably well (I've never had it before so I'm not a very
serious judge, though.) The menu system is pretty easy to use
even in the car, and the memories are darned nice--they store
power level among other parameters, so I can switch between the
local repeater and low power, and 70 watts on 20 meters, just with
the flip of the knob. VERY nice. I've only owned 4 HF rigs in my
entire 14 years as a ham, so I'm not very experienced with rigs
in general. But I've been DELIGHTED with the 706 MkIIG. If I
ever get bored with HF mobile I'll probably bring it inside for
my main SSB rig and use my FT-840 for PSK and CW. Feel free to
email me if you have any specific questions .. GOOD LUCK!

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Old August 22nd 03, 02:43 AM
Rich

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:55:35 GMT, "Martin"
wrote:

I'd appreciate any comments, pro and con, from actual users of the
IC-706MKIIG. Performance, reliability, service problems, etc.

As it's described it seems to have features I'd like and need: small size,
both HF and VHF, and a reasonable power level. Any suggestions as to other
rigs with similar features would be appreciated also.

Marty K1FHR

hi, marty. i've got a MKIIG in my camper and use it when
camping...not as often as i'd like. no problems with it at all. it
performs well. i guess the only "complaint' i'd have is trying to
remember all of the functions. but that's a problem with most moden
rigs.

73,
rich, n9dko