Old September 8th 03, 12:29 AM
class_a_zpk_12wpm

On 07 Sep 2003 14:41:00 GMT, "Tom Tillander"
wrote:

My Kenwood TS440S is beginning to present symptoms (frequency drift and
intermittent dots in the display) of PLL unlock. Service Bulletins at

you WILL get a better answer on the ts440 email reflector that you are
subscribed to.

if i remember rightly...
if the dots is on only a few bands then try tuning vfo-1 a bit
if its dots on all bands then try vfo-5
and pick some of the ''glue'' away from the components as its supposed
to attract moisture.

Old September 8th 03, 01:22 PM
MD

"Jim Wagner" wrote in message

Is this problem throughout the TS-xxx line or just specific models.
Specifically, does the TS450S/AT sufer from it as well? My display
has taken to not coming on until 5-10 seconds after power up. Perhaps
that's the solder joint problem someone else mentioned in this thread?

73 de Jim, N4SVZ

Jim,

The 450 and 850 do NOT use this compund. You have nothing to worry about
there, but you might want to check to make sure your memory backup battery
has not corroded. They will leak onto the control board and make nasty
gremlins appear. The 450 and 850 have been one of K'woods most successful
models. Hopefully the same can be siad for my new TS570SG!!

73,
Max

Old September 8th 03, 04:45 PM
Leigh W3NLB

On 07 Sep 2003 20:10:39 GMT, "Tom Tillander"
wrote:

Thanks, I'm aware of the "goop" issue as well.... I'm just trying to get
prepared for all contingencies. Are you saying Kenwood used to repair this
for free even if your warranty has expired?

That's correct. The repair was paid under warranty by Kenwood (if
done by a Kenwood warranty service station) regardless of when the rig
was purchased or who the current owner was.

73 de Leigh W3NLB

Old September 8th 03, 05:14 PM
Clif Holland

When did you have this work done and by who?

To my knowledge Kenwood has never paid a warranty station to do the work.
They may have done some in-house.

--
Clif Holland, KA5IPF
AVVid