Old September 11th 03, 03:20 AM
Dick

Default Bulletproof Dual-Bander

I have the task of purchasing a 2-mter/440 radio, power supply,
antenna, etc. for ARES/RACES operation. The radio needs to be able to
run for long periods without worry of overheating etc. Also simple to
operate for multiple operators. I haven't purchased a dual-band
mobile radio for several years, so would welcome suggestions.

Dick - W6CCD
Old September 11th 03, 01:03 PM
Chris

Hi Dick. Tried to send this to you personally, but your e-mail rejected me.

Actually, I believe that you would be money ahead, if you went with separate
VHF and UHF commercial gear like Motorola. A good majority of the gear can
be tuned up or down to ham frequencies. As readily available and as cheap as
this stuff is on the newsgroups, even Ebay, (yes even cheap on Ebay...sounds
like an oxymoron LOL), it would be the best route to go. Commercial gear can
be dropped from a 10 story building and still function as before. Leaving
them on for
extended periods of time is no real strain on their ability. A lot of comm.
gear is used around here for repeater stations and they run continuously for
years without much upkeep. Look around, i've seen a lot of the comm equip
for sale that offer free programming to your frequencies. When it arrives,
its just plug and play !! You will just need to label each channel (dynamo
label perhaps) to identify what it is.

If you go this route, you will need monoband VHF and UHF antennas
respectively. The power supply (or supplies) will have to be 25 amp or
greater to power the rigs.

Just my .02 worth !!

73

Chris
N8COP

Old September 11th 03, 02:42 PM
Dick

Thanks Chris. I always forget to say to remove the 33 from my
address. I would prefer to use a dual-bander because this equipment
will be put in some kind of portable case to move between locations,
and 440 will rarely be used. It's just a backup to the normal 2-meter
frequencies. Antenna will probably be a Diamond X-50 as that is what
we have at all the fire stations, etc. It's a good performer, and
very sturdy.

Dick - W6CCD

Old September 12th 03, 06:50 AM
F8BOE

Hello,

It's not bullet-proof, but the Yaesu FT7100 has an idiot-proof running mode
where only the memories can be used with no frequency tuning capabilities.
Very convenient when using the alphnumeric memory labelling.

There must be other duoband rigs handling this mode.

The FT7100 has also digital (packet abilities) up to 9k6 bauds limited to a
TXDelay of 16 (160ms).

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Old September 12th 03, 10:26 PM
Richard W. Solomon, W1KSZ

DO NOT CONSIDER THE FT-7100, unless you need a paperweight.
It's IM rejection is non-existent. I bought one and sent it back to
YAESU for the IM "fix". It now sits in a box in the cellar. It's
USELESS.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

Old September 13th 03, 12:58 AM
Mark V. Russo

And I hear there is a lot more problems with that rig.
the mic audio for one.
It's a shame Yaesu did not turn any of them on before
they left the factory. :-(