Old October 9th 03, 03:42 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default Have you had an FT-817 finals failure?

Just wondering how many folks here have had a catastrophic
failure of the finals in their FT-817 - with no reason (no
over-voltage, high SWR, or other abuse).

I'm getting the impression from some snooping on the
Yahoo group that there have been a LOT of FT-817
final failures - perhaps either a design flaw or a bad
batch of transistors.

I've sent mine back to Yaesu, with a letter telling them
what I've found and that I expect them to make it right,
because even though the radio is slightly past the 1 year
warranty, it was NOT abused and there seems to be
a pattern of these failures.

Just curious how many folks here have had the same
failure ...

Carl - wk3c

Old October 10th 03, 01:33 PM

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:42:55 GMT, Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
Just wondering how many folks here have had a catastrophic
failure of the finals in their FT-817 - with no reason (no
over-voltage, high SWR, or other abuse).

- not yet! and at $550, i bought one for a backup...

I'm getting the impression from some snooping on the
Yahoo group that there have been a LOT of FT-817
final failures - perhaps either a design flaw or a bad
batch of transistors.

- possible, but consider the number of units in the field
and the number with failed finals - miniscule return,
(although if it happens to you, then it's awful)...

I've sent mine back to Yaesu, with a letter telling them
what I've found and that I expect them to make it right,
because even though the radio is slightly past the 1 year
warranty, it was NOT abused and there seems to be
a pattern of these failures.

- you can repair it yourself for $50 by ordering the finals
PCB...

- more disturbing however, is the report of one user that
Yaesu blamed his unit's failure on an internal trace break
on the main board - impossible to accomplish unless one
takes the board out for a manual flex or, more likely,
a manufacturing flaw...

Just curious how many folks here have had the same
failure ...

- there's a yahoo group named blownfinalsFT-817 ... you can
get a better idea there? the FT817 group is getting tired
of blown final reports... (not something i agree with, mind
you)

- here's the ordering info for the final PCB:

Yaesu Parts Department number: 714-827-7600, extension 2500
Part name is "FT817 Final Unit"
Part number is CB1333001
Price is $43.88 each

- w/S/H via UPS it works out to about $50...

- hope this helps!
Carl - wk3c

Old October 10th 03, 01:57 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

wrote:
[...]

But there is a pattern of an abnormally high failure rate,
indicating a design flaw, manufacturing defect, or perhaps
a bad batch of transistors ... I don't think users should be
forced to pay for things like that when there has been NO
abuse of any sort.

- more disturbing however, is the report of one user that
Yaesu blamed his unit's failure on an internal trace break
on the main board - impossible to accomplish unless one
takes the board out for a manual flex or, more likely,
a manufacturing flaw...

Just curious how many folks here have had the same
failure ...

- there's a yahoo group named blownfinalsFT-817 ... you can
get a better idea there? the FT817 group is getting tired
of blown final reports... (not something i agree with, mind
you)

- here's the ordering info for the final PCB:

Yaesu Parts Department number: 714-827-7600, extension 2500
Part name is "FT817 Final Unit"
Part number is CB1333001
Price is $43.88 each

- w/S/H via UPS it works out to about $50...

Thanks for that info ... if Yaesu doesn't do right by me on this one
I'll have to go that route ... but I still think they should repair this
on their own nickle - the radio was used only 3 or 4 times. Had
I used the radio more, this would have likely occured during,
rather than a bit after the warranty period (but the radio is for a
backpack station for travel use, which is why the low usage).

73,
Carl -wk3c