Old October 10th 03, 06:07 PM
Evan Platt

Default Any ham radio that does Quick Call RX?

Is there a ham radio that does Quick-Call (two-tone) decode, like a
fire department uses?

Thanks.

Evan
To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.
Old October 11th 03, 08:30 AM
Mark Keith

Evan Platt wrote in message . ..
Is there a ham radio that does Quick-Call (two-tone) decode, like a
fire department uses?

Thanks.

Evan
To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

Is this about the same as the "sel-call" used in aviation? If so, no.
I know of no ham rigs that include that. But airnav sells a sel-cal
decoder for computer.
You can get a working demo on the web at their site.
I don't know if this would work for your needs though. The aviation
sel-cal uses a 4 letter code, IE: EKBN or whatever...But on the radio
you hear two tones of different pitches. IE: beeeeeep, boooooop, or
whatever. I *think* the two tones heard are mixtures of two tones
themselves, hence the 4 letter code, but not sure. Seems like I've
heard fire station calls that had about the same type of sound, now
that I think about it. But don't know if compatable or not. I guess
you could try the free sel call demo and see if it will work. MK

Old October 11th 03, 06:00 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:05:40 -0700, Evan Platt
wrote:

On 11 Oct 2003 00:30:49 -0700, (Mark Keith) wrote:

Is this about the same as the "sel-call" used in aviation? If so, no.
I know of no ham rigs that include that. But airnav sells a sel-cal
decoder for computer.
You can get a working demo on the web at their site.
I don't know if this would work for your needs though. The aviation
sel-cal uses a 4 letter code, IE: EKBN or whatever...But on the radio
you hear two tones of different pitches. IE: beeeeeep, boooooop, or
whatever. I *think* the two tones heard are mixtures of two tones
themselves, hence the 4 letter code, but not sure. Seems like I've
heard fire station calls that had about the same type of sound, now
that I think about it. But don't know if compatable or not. I guess
you could try the free sel call demo and see if it will work. MK

I don't know if it's Select Call - I think that's another tone.

You can hear the tone at
http://www.firescan.net/cgi-bin/chin...i?by=page&ch=2 - click on
any link.

I'd prefer it in a handheld...

Thanks.

Evan

I know of no amateur transceivers that do two-tone select calling.
Icom's IC-F30GS does, it will also operate within the 2 meter amateur
radio bands. Other commerical transceivers do two tone select calling
too.

What I don't remember is if you can scan with the 2 tone select
calling enmabled. If you docan there is a possibility of missing a
call as you are scanning channels other than the primariy 2 tone
select call channel.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991

Old October 11th 03, 08:06 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Evan Platt wrote:
You can hear the tone at
http://www.firescan.net/cgi-bin/chin...i?by=page&ch=2 - click on
any link.

I'd prefer it in a handheld...

Almost all of the Motorla units will do it. When I lived in the states,
my family and I each had motorola handhelds that responded to quick
call II codes. We would get on the local repeater, ID, issue the codes
to the repeater controler to activate the quick call tones and then call
the others.

I also had a voice pager sitting in an amplified charger unit in my
living room.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069