Old September 29th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Help with H89/H19

Sorry for being off-topic, but the heath/zenith NG seems to have died.
Does it help if I have an expired ham license? :-)

I have need of an RS-232 terminal, and I know that
my H89 (with no floppy--boat anchor!) contains one.

Can anyone point me to details for disconnecting the
H19 board from the CPU board and connecting it instead
to the DB-25 on the back?

(Even better, connecting it directly to a DB-9 which I'd have to buy)

I need it to configure a Sun Ultra, since I don't have a Sun monitor.

Thanks

--
Wes Groleau

Free speech has its limits
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=99
Old September 29th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Wes Groleau wrote:

snip

Can anyone point me to details for disconnecting the
H19 board from the CPU board and connecting it instead
to the DB-25 on the back?

(Even better, connecting it directly to a DB-9 which I'd have to buy)

I need it to configure a Sun Ultra, since I don't have a Sun monitor.

Thanks

What is preventing you from using a PC (desktop or laptop) or a Mac
running a terminal emulator as your console terminal for the Sun WS?
That would involve somewhat less work than converting the H89 and
you would have the benefit of emulating a terminal type appropriate
for the Sun serial console.

Regards,

Michael
Old September 30th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

msg wrote:
Wes Groleau wrote:
Can anyone point me to details for disconnecting the
H19 board from the CPU board and connecting it instead
to the DB-25 on the back?

(Even better, connecting it directly to a DB-9 which I'd have to buy)

I need it to configure a Sun Ultra, since I don't have a Sun monitor.

What is preventing you from using a PC (desktop or laptop) or a Mac
running a terminal emulator as your console terminal for the Sun WS?
That would involve somewhat less work than converting the H89 and
you would have the benefit of emulating a terminal type appropriate
for the Sun serial console.

None of my Macs have RS-232 (though of course I can get a USB converter)
But I do have a Kubuntu box with RS-232 which I could hook up with a
crossover. However, if it didn't work, I wouldn't know whether to blame
the Sun or my emulator config.

Plus, without a floppy drive, the H89 is useless, so this gets
something out of it.

--
Wes Groleau
"Grant me the serenity to accept those I cannot change;
Old September 30th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Wes Groleau wrote:
None of my Macs have RS-232 (though of course I can get a USB converter)
But I do have a Kubuntu box with RS-232 which I could hook up with a
crossover. However, if it didn't work, I wouldn't know whether to blame
the Sun or my emulator config.

Ask this on the "Sun Rescue" mailing list.

www.sunhelp.org

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old September 30th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Wes Groleau wrote:
Sorry for being off-topic, but the heath/zenith NG seems to have died.
Does it help if I have an expired ham license? :-)

I have need of an RS-232 terminal, and I know that
my H89 (with no floppy--boat anchor!) contains one.

Can anyone point me to details for disconnecting the
H19 board from the CPU board and connecting it instead
to the DB-25 on the back?

This is from vague, 27-year-old recollection.
There are two boards in the H89. One of the boards
is the computer, the other is a terminal. The terminal
board is the one attached to the actual CRT, the computer
is attached to the (100KB, hard-sectored) diskette drive.

The computer and terminal are attached with a single
cable with perhaps 5-7 lines using standard RS-232
levels. You just need to pull that cable off, figure
out the pinning on it, and make a replacement cable to
connect to the DB-25. I can't remember well, and I advise
proceeding with caution, but I very vaguely recall that
maybe you could move the cable that connects the computer
to the DB-25 to the terminal board, after removing the
cable that connects the two boards together.

(Even better, connecting it directly to a DB-9 which I'd have to buy)

I need it to configure a Sun Ultra, since I don't have a Sun monitor.

You've got some vintage hardware there ;-)

Dana K6JQ

Old September 30th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Wes Groleau wrote:

snip

Plus, without a floppy drive, the H89 is useless, so this gets
something out of it.

Indeed, using the terminal portion has merit, but why not also
add the missing floppy (I presume it is just the 5 1/4" drive
that you lack)? Look in dumpsters, curbside, surplus and
thrift stores for any old XT-clone to rescue a full-height
floppy

Regards,

Michael
Old September 30th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

msg wrote:
Indeed, using the terminal portion has merit, but why not also
add the missing floppy (I presume it is just the 5 1/4" drive
that you lack)? Look in dumpsters, curbside, surplus and
thrift stores for any old XT-clone to rescue a full-height
floppy

All the software is gone--damaged by two many years of garage and
basement storage, and I finally got up the courage to discard the
remains.

Also, the "hard-sector" disks these things used are not as easy to find.
I actually have some old Wintel boxes with soft-sector drives.

My H89 drive is not actually missing--it is "out-of-alignment"
and I don't have the tools to fix that.

There's anyway no particular value to me any more in running
HDOS or CP/M. It's been too long--I grew accustomed to AmigaDOS,
and then to MacOS 9, and now Mac OS X (with Solaris, Linux, and
FreeBSD for off-loading non-user-interface tasks)

Hey, an alternate idea: Anyone in northeast Indiana want to bring
over a serial terminal long enough to reinstall and configure Solaris
and Kubuntu, and take what's left of the Heathkit as my inadequate
"thank you" ? :-)

--
Wes Groleau

"There ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over."
-- Larry Wall
Old September 30th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Dana Myers wrote:
maybe you could move the cable that connects the computer
to the DB-25 to the terminal board, after removing the
cable that connects the two boards together.

Hmmm. That's probably correct! In fact, if I recall correctly,
there are both DCE and DTE connectors on the back.

Thanks, I will definitely look into that!

You've got some vintage hardware there ;-)

Just call me cheap. The vast majority of the computers
I've had cost less than fifty dollars each.

--
Wes Groleau

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe.
Old November 16th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article ,
msg writes:
Wes Groleau wrote:

snip

Plus, without a floppy drive, the H89 is useless, so this gets
something out of it.

Indeed, using the terminal portion has merit, but why not also
add the missing floppy (I presume it is just the 5 1/4" drive
that you lack)? Look in dumpsters, curbside, surplus and
thrift stores for any old XT-clone to rescue a full-height
floppy

Not likely to find one as the Heathkit computers prior to the
PC world (other than the H8) used hard sectored disks. I can
not remember the last time I saw a 5 1/4" hard sectored drive!!

bill

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h
Old November 16th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
msg msg is offline

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

In article ,
msg writes:

Wes Groleau wrote:

snip

Plus, without a floppy drive, the H89 is useless, so this gets
something out of it.

Indeed, using the terminal portion has merit, but why not also
add the missing floppy (I presume it is just the 5 1/4" drive
that you lack)? Look in dumpsters, curbside, surplus and
thrift stores for any old XT-clone to rescue a full-height
floppy

Not likely to find one as the Heathkit computers prior to the
PC world (other than the H8) used hard sectored disks. I can
not remember the last time I saw a 5 1/4" hard sectored drive!!

bill

I cannot remember any differences in the drives, only the media.
The sector holes and index hole were all on the same circle.

I used to use a cheap punch to make hard sectored
media and IIRC, I just lined up the punch on the index hole
and then rotated the media a certain number of degrees, punched,
repeated, until done.

Here is an excerpt from a website that describes drive and media
specifications (http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/drive.html):

Facts on hard sectored diskettes and "drives"

1) Hard sector means that the DISKETTE (not the drive) has multiple holes,
one for each sector. Normal (soft sectored) diskettes have only ONE hole
to mark the "index" or beginning of a track. There is a small hole in
the envelope (8-inch, 5.25-inch) which exposes this hole to the disk
drive. For hard sectored disks, there are additional holes to mark the
beginning of each sector. The index hole is an additional hole between
two sector holes.

2) 5.25 inch hard sector diskettes came with 10 sector (11 holes) and
rarely 16 sector (17 holes). To count holes, grab a diskette. Rotate
the "doughnut" inside the diskette's envelope and count the holes.
Remember the index hole is in between two sector holes (so a smaller
spacing). Classic systems which used 5.25 inch hard sectored diskettes
include Heath H89 (10 sector), NorthStar (10 sector).

3)For 8-inch diskettes, hard sectored diskettes came with 32 sectors
(33 holes). These disks were otherwise identical to soft-sectored 8-inch
diskettes. But, there was another, even older hard-sectored scheme, where
the index hole was near the outer edge of the envelope and far offset
from center.

4)While in most cases, it's the MEDIA not the DRIVE which determines
hard-sectored operation, there were some 8-inch drives (Shugart 800
and 801) which provided circuitry to generate hard sector pulses from
soft sectored diskettes. (Or was that to filter hard sector pulses OUT
from hard sectored diskettes? Check with the Shugart 800/801 manual...

Regards,

Michael