Old October 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Best Multiband HF Vertical on a roof

All

Can anyone recommend a verical antenna that i can mount on the roof of
my 3 story house that works from 80m upwards and wont upset the
nighbours (too much). I have looked at various Butternuts etc but it
seems like they only work well when ground mounted. Also keen to get
one that is not to noisy as in a relativly built up area. I would not
operate with more than 100W

I have looked at reviews on EHAM but they all seem to be mixed.

Thanks

Andiroo

Old October 12th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, wrote:

All

Can anyone recommend a verical antenna that i can mount on the roof of
my 3 story house that works from 80m upwards and wont upset the
nighbours (too much). I have looked at various Butternuts etc but it
seems like they only work well when ground mounted. Also keen to get
one that is not to noisy as in a relativly built up area. I would not
operate with more than 100W

I have looked at reviews on EHAM but they all seem to be mixed.

Thanks

Andiroo

Andiroo,
I had a bunch of very strong cable donated to me by the local
NAVAL raedio stn. It was about 1/4" in diameter and included
Ceramic bar insulaters etc. I had a 4" vertical aluminum pipe
imbeded in concrete at the base. It was about 30' long and another
slightly slightly smaller aluminum pipe which telescoped into the lower
one. Total height was about 50 feet when fully raised. At the top
I had a thick very tough plastic ring with wholes around the edges
so I caould anchor the antenna wires to the insluating ring and then
had 3 inverted vertical antennas all fed by RG8U Coax into a will
insulated box. In other words 3 inverted V's you might call it.
They opposite end of the antennas were 1/4 " bronze braid wire.
One set was cut for 40 meters, one for 80 meters, and the last
for 15 meters. Coax feeders were cut to proper lengths for
best matching and lowest loss. The antenna worked fantastically.
All 3 bands and stood up with no breakage even during near hits
from several hurricanes and Kona storams. Results were excellent.
I also had a 3KW roller coil tuner in the shack which permitted
tuneing to zero swr on all bands 80/40/20/15/10 meters.
As I said this material from NM0 site was real tough stuff.
The aluminum mast that supported it all was about 4" in diameter
and set in concrete block. Hole in side to put all the feed line
inside the vertical aluminum pipe. At top of the 4" pipe had another
3" pipe interleaved into the 4" pipe so could raise and lower the
upper section easily. On the air results were fantastic.
The antennas faned out at the roof tie point insulators.
If your lot is at least 50' by 100' its just
about what I have.
Joe/KH6JF (Honolulu, Hi)