Old November 1st 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default DSO 2150 USB Oscilloscope

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the DSO 2150 USB
Oscilloscope. I see it on Ebay and the price looks too good to be
true (Chinese-made).

I am just getting into homebrewing and can see a scope would be a good
addition to my DVM to help me troubleshoot projects.

I'd appreciate any feedback. All I can find on the web is the ebay
listings for this product.
tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz

Old November 1st 07, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the DSO 2150 USB
Oscilloscope. I see it on Ebay and the price looks too good to be
true (Chinese-made).

I am just getting into homebrewing and can see a scope would be a good
addition to my DVM to help me troubleshoot projects.

I'd appreciate any feedback. All I can find on the web is the ebay
listings for this product.
tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz

I'm a little leery on this, but really am not familiar with this
type of modern scope apparatus to offer any valid opinion on it.
Personally, I prefer the older high quality units you can find on EBay
for about the same price, such as a Tektronics 465.

Ed K7AAT
Old November 1st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, WB5RVZ wrote:

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the DSO 2150 USB
Oscilloscope. I see it on Ebay and the price looks too good to be
true (Chinese-made).

I am just getting into homebrewing and can see a scope would be a good
addition to my DVM to help me troubleshoot projects.

I've been homebrewing for a couple of years now and have bought several
scopes at hamfests for exactly that reason: they give you invaluable
information.

If you can develop the patience, get your scopes at a hamfest (or see
below) and be prepared to go to several spread out over at least a year.

Know what you want before you go. My work is all at low HF frequencies
(below 5 mHz) so I didn't need high spec high bandwidth. You need to be
able to ask the guys selling the stuff what the history is and be wary of
vague answers. Some guys have inverters and will be glad to offer to show
you that it works (go for it). A hint on bandwidth is what the time base
will go down to. One microsecond per division means a megacycle (Hz to the
newtimers), so the rolloff will decrease sensitivity at progressively
higher freq. Be wary of dust level, loose knobs and shafts, a
stickyness on the surface of the outside (as if it was in a restaurant
oil frying kitchen for 20 years), etc. The problems I have run into with
old used scopes is that they have not been turned on for 20-30 years, and
within an hour or two of being on, burns out something and then its dead.
Another problem I've had is jitter/intermittents (and not due to dirty
switches, but you can have that problem, too). Be wary of scopes with a
limited vertical sensitivity range (such as one Heathkit scope that goes
1x, 10x, and 100x). The older tecktronix scopes are excellent. I have the
notion that the newer ones (being much more complicated) are hard to fix
(and I've been inside some of mine). Look for manuals (particularly if you
might think you will someday be fixing it) and that you might need a
second scope to fix the first, or vice-versa. I remember the 564 series
which had parts (and tubes) all spread out like crazy, but easy to find
everything, easy to get a soldering iron in, etc. But, they can develop
problems that are hard to trace, etc. If you have a chance to buy two,
then you can use the second one for spare parts or signal clues when tring
to fix the first one. I'd also consider, preferably, to see you do a
google search for used oscilloscope dealers who will give you something
like a 30 day warranty as a normal feature of the sale. You scope arrives
busted, or craps out within the warranty, then you have a fallback.

This year I went to a bunch of hamfests. First hamfest, I bought two, one
not so good and the other one crapped out on me. After several more
hamfests and nothing or nothing I wanted, the last fest yielded five
scopes for me, one old RCA (tube) and four Tektronix 5100 (three) and 922
(one) boxes and paid about $100, total, for all of them. Walk around and get interested
near the end; you will find guys who _really_ want to not take them home
again and are lowing the price every 10-15 minutes. One of the five had
serious problems and I'm saving it for spare parts, spare scope tube.

I also like analog VOMs better than DVMs.

Old November 6th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Nov 1, 2:24 pm, WB5RVZ wrote:
Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the DSO 2150 USB
Oscilloscope. I see it on Ebay and the price looks too good to be
true (Chinese-made).

I am just getting into homebrewing and can see a scope would be a good
addition to my DVM to help me troubleshoot projects.

I'd appreciate any feedback. All I can find on the web is the ebay
listings for this product.
tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz

We carry this model on our website, www.partsforhdtv.com. Honestly, I
haven't used it for more than 20 minutes but I can tell it works like
a charm. I worked in a navigation center (ACC) for almost ten years,
where I used handful of very expensive measurement tools. I think this
one is comparable in terms of functionality. Moreover, saving waveform
on screen in varies format really helps. I like this feature most. We
had an R/S spectrum analysis which features a FDD years ago and it
save me many times. We caught many intermittent problems which could
not be recreated. And we always had many remote helpers handy for
help.......

FS: Oscilloscope [email protected] Swap 0 August 15th 05 09:03 PM
Oscilloscope AA6RK Swap 2 November 19th 03 10:38 AM
FS: OSCILLOSCOPE Chas Swap 0 October 13th 03 09:01 PM
pc oscilloscope streamyx Equipment 0 July 31st 03 07:24 PM
pc oscilloscope streamyx Equipment 0 July 31st 03 07:24 PM