Old November 16th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default HW-8 Question

Is there anyone who sells replacement semiconductors kits for the HW-8?
I have one that my father bought at a hamfest a couple decades ago. It
has never worked, since the day it was built and I suspect the builder
fried the delicate parts with his soldering iron. Heath had this bad
habit of using obscure parts but if it's possibl;e I would really like
to fix this so I can use it.

bill
KB3YV

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h
Old November 17th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Bill Gunshannon" wrote in message
Is there anyone who sells replacement semiconductors kits for the HW-8?
I have one that my father bought at a hamfest a couple decades ago. It
has never worked, since the day it was built and I suspect the builder
fried the delicate parts with his soldering iron. Heath had this bad
habit of using obscure parts but if it's possibl;e I would really like
to fix this so I can use it.

bill
KB3YV

Bill -

PARTS?

Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/

as well as DigiKey, RadioDaze, Allied Radio, Newark
All these distributors have the complement that you will need

Some web page suggestions for your HW-8 restoration:

Mike Bryce, WB8VGE of the TheHeathKitShop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/

His notes on HW-8
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/hw-8.html

He also complied the HW-8 Handbook, now in second edition
Great reference inone book -- especially for those Heath technical
bulletings that many builders did
not get or read
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/hw8handbook.html

KK4KF's HW-7/8/9 web page
http://www.qsl.net/kk4kf/heathkit.html

WB6FZH HW-8 Modifications, Repairs and Recollections
http://members.aol.com/greg6fzh/hw8hints.htm

WB9DLC HW-8
http://wb9dlc.com/HW-8Mods.htm

HW-8 parts for building
http://members.aol.com/w3dx/HW8Parts.html

Looking for a quality used soldering iron -- or reapir parts for that Weller
TCP series, send me an e-mail --- W9GB
w9gb

Old November 24th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
(Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

Is there anyone who sells replacement semiconductors kits for the HW-8?

Bill-

Parts used by Heath may not have been so obscure back then! However
they did mark them with their own proprietary numbers. Therefore you
need a cross reference before you can see how common they are.

I found such a cross reference at
http://www.d8apro.com/heath3.htm which has quite a long list of Heath
part numbers.

That web site has additional Heath information at
http://www.d8apro.com/heath1.htm .

Fred
K4DII
Old November 26th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Fred McKenzie writes:
In article ,
(Bill Gunshannon) wrote:

Is there anyone who sells replacement semiconductors kits for the HW-8?

Bill-

Parts used by Heath may not have been so obscure back then!

Having built many Heathkits, I can assure you they were. :-)
Knowing how common 12v power supplies were/are, just look at the regulator
used in the PS for the Heath 2meter rig.

However
they did mark them with their own proprietary numbers. Therefore you
need a cross reference before you can see how common they are.

I found such a cross reference at
http://www.d8apro.com/heath3.htm which has quite a long list of Heath
part numbers.

That web site has additional Heath information at
http://www.d8apro.com/heath1.htm .

I will check out both of these. I still have a lot of Heath stuff. I
mean, when you are talking obscure, I even built the "Digital Clock" for
my wife. You know the one that stood 6' tall and used light bulbs stuck
into plastic segments for the display. Try to find any kind of bulb
suitable for replacing them!! The clock has languished in my attic for
years. I have recently given thought to changing the driver board and
just using LEDs. It's campy, but I still like that clock.