Old December 5th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Need computer program to read my paddle code

I received this message from a friend and am not sure what to recommend.

Message is:
" I need a program that I can use to receive code sent by me to the computer
in hopes of mastering my paddles. I have a keyer so I would assume something
that would use my sound card would be the easiest but if a program that
connects to one of the computer ports would be better that would not be a
problem.what program would you recommend for this?"

Any ideas? Post here please. Thanks

Lamont

Old December 8th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"The Shadow" wrote in message
I received this message from a friend and am not sure what
to recommend.

Message is:
" I need a program that I can use to receive code sent by
me to the computer in hopes of mastering my paddles. I
have a keyer so I would assume something that would use my
sound card would be the easiest but if a program that
connects to one of the computer ports would be better that
would not be a problem.what program would you recommend
for this?"

Any ideas? Post here please. Thanks

Lamont

There are many freeware code reading programs on the
web. All work through the sound card and will read code from
a receiver or from a local source. Most will also send code
from the keyboard.
I don't think this is helpful for learning code. I
suggest using a code sending program, I like the G4FON
"Kotch" trainer, a Google search will find it. This program
can be set to send code from any text file.
Another good source of practice material is the W1AW
web page on the ARRL site. This has on line MP3 files at
several speeds. Can't vary the tone but its good machine
sent code. I think this is important to use for learning
because it gives you a standard for sending.
I may be very old fashioned (but so is Morse) but I
still think a beginner should start with a straight hand
key. Using a keyer requires learning a couple of things at
once. After getting pretty good with a hand key one can move
on to a keyer or bug.
BTW, code reading programs will generally tollerate a
reasonable amount of bad sending so the fact that one can
read your sending may not mean much in terms of quality.
Probably a plain sound recording of the sending is more
revealing. If you can read your own a couple of days later
you are probably doing OK.
BTW, the G4FON program allows setting the code for some
common variations like dithered timing and can introduce QRM
and QSB.
Back in the bad old days, when much wire and radio
traffic was handled by hand the ability of an operator to
read bad fists was important. This is pretty much like being
able to decipher bad handwriting. I think you have to get
pretty darn good to be able to do it. Code is also something
like learning shorthand: it becomes a life-time avocation,
provided you like it. I learned code in my teens, back when
dinosaurs roamed the streets, and am still working on it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow