Old November 27th 03, 02:08 PM
VHFRadioBuff

http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/d...le/ic208h.html

http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/d...c2720main.html

I really just need a radio that can TX on 2m (a monobander) and RX in the 500
mhz range. I don't need nor do I want a dualbander for this application. I
should have clairified that at the begining, but I guess I didn't really know
what I wanted then...

So, does anyone know of any 2m mobiles (NOT DUALBANDERS) that can RX in the 500
mhz range?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old November 27th 03, 11:16 PM
Bob Miller

On 27 Nov 2003 14:08:00 GMT, pamme (VHFRadioBuff)
wrote:

http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/d...le/ic208h.html

http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/d...c2720main.html

I really just need a radio that can TX on 2m (a monobander) and RX in the 500
mhz range. I don't need nor do I want a dualbander for this application. I
should have clairified that at the begining, but I guess I didn't really know
what I wanted then...

So, does anyone know of any 2m mobiles (NOT DUALBANDERS) that can RX in the 500
mhz range?

There's not really any reason for a 144 mhz tr/rc rig to receive in
the 500 mhz range, so it may be a stretch to find such a rig. Dual
banders, working as high as 440-or-so mhz don't find it that much of
an electrical stretch...

Bob
k5qwg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old November 28th 03, 04:13 AM
VHFRadioBuff

There's not really any reason for a 144 mhz tr/rc rig to receive in
the 500 mhz range, so it may be a stretch to find such a rig. Dual
banders, working as high as 440-or-so mhz don't find it that much of
an electrical stretch...

There is actually - if I don't want a seperate scanner to receive the 500mhz
frequencies I want to listen to. Why not have a 2m rig that also has RX
capabilities like a scanner?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Old November 28th 03, 04:36 AM
Dave Platt

There's not really any reason for a 144 mhz tr/rc rig to receive in
the 500 mhz range

#snip#

There is actually - if I don't want a seperate scanner to receive the 500mhz
frequencies I want to listen to. Why not have a 2m rig that also has RX
capabilities like a scanner?

I think you misread his answer. I'd interpret/expand what I think he
was trying to say as:

"A 144 mhz tr/rc single-band rig will probably be designed with
electronics which are optimized for this single task, for both cost
and performance reasons. Adding a wideband receive capability to
this sort of rig would change the technical requirements, and would
probably either increase the cost or decrease the 144 MHz
performance. There may not be enough of a market for this sort of
somewhat-specialized rig, and thus you may find that no
manufacturer has found it cost-effective to market such a product.

A dual-band amateur rig, which has to go up to 440 anyhow, would
need less modification of its design to be stretched to 500 MHz,
and doing might not increase its cost or decrease its performance
appreciably.

Hence, you're much more likely to find 500 MHz receive capability
in a dualband rig, than in a 2-meter monobander."

There's no question that one *can* design a 2-meter rig with wideband
receive. There's no question that this is what you, personally, want.
There seems to be a big question as to whether enough people want that
combination, for you to be able to find an actual, off-the-shelf
commercial rig of this type on the market today.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old December 11th 03, 11:46 PM
vhfradiobuff

Just a follow up on this, if anyone was interested (and for the
archives in case anyone else is looking for this!). I found a radio
that is a 2m mobile and has receive capabilities in UHF and even up
into 800mhz. The Yaesu FT-3000. I found a used one that I will be
buying!