Old January 18th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Project 25 Digital (P-25 digital) Equepm

There is a local Amateur repeater in my area that is Project 25 digital
(P-25 digital). I would like to talk on this Amateur P-25 digital repeater,
but also listen to the local Sheriff Office and Highway Patrol who are also
operating P-25 digital. I am looking for an Amateur Radio mobile or
handheld that is Project 25 digital (P-25 digital) capable, but I do not see
any such Amateur mobile or handheld equipment.

My question is what do you fellow Amateur Radio Operator use for P-25
digital?

Steve

Old January 20th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"CyberScan357" wrote in message
rio.net...
There is a local Amateur repeater in my area that is Project 25 digital
(P-25 digital). I would like to talk on this Amateur P-25 digital
repeater, but also listen to the local Sheriff Office and Highway Patrol
who are also operating P-25 digital. I am looking for an Amateur Radio
mobile or handheld that is Project 25 digital (P-25 digital) capable, but
I do not see any such Amateur mobile or handheld equipment.

My question is what do you fellow Amateur Radio Operator use for P-25
digital?

Steve

Steve -

I attended Illinois Repeater Council technical presentation at our local
club meeting last month -- about various modes (P-25, D-Star, etc).

P-25 amateur radio repeaters do NOT widely exist (You may have one in your
area -- from a wealthy ham or a tech with access to P-25 equipment).

You will not find P-25 "off the shelf" radios from amateur radio mfg. ---
Look for Motorola or Kenwood LAND MOBILE RADIO (LMR) resellers for mobile
units --
same dealers that sell to local public service agencies (Sheriff and Highway
Patrol).

IF you just want scan capability --- check out new Uniden scanners, etc.

gb

Old January 20th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"CyberScan357" wrote in message
rio.net...
There is a local Amateur repeater in my area that is Project 25 digital
(P-25 digital). I would like to talk on this Amateur P-25 digital
repeater, but also listen to the local Sheriff Office and Highway Patrol
who are also operating P-25 digital. I am looking for an Amateur Radio
mobile or handheld that is Project 25 digital (P-25 digital) capable, but
I do not see any such Amateur mobile or handheld equipment.

My question is what do you fellow Amateur Radio Operator use for P-25
digital?

Steve

... as a follow-up D-Star (JARL standard) is a cheaper digital approach used
in Japan and being sold by Icom today in USA.

P-25 will likely never be adopted or widely used in amateur radio --
until significant cost reductions in P-25 digital technology and equipment
occur.

gb