Old January 28th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Icom in car won't turn on... amps?

I just got my car back from the shop, and that Icom IC-208H I have
wouldn't turn on... as I prepared for the long annoying battle with the
dealership, I figured I should make sure it was definitely the radio...
brought it to the basement and hooked it up to a 12v powersupply - it
worked fine.

Now - my 2002 Jeep Cherokee was getting the transmission replaced, and
sat outside at the dealership during the 2 coldest weeks we've had in
a while... so cold that when I took the radio out, it hurt to hold it
for too long in my bare hand... but it still fired up in the basement
even though it was obviously below the Icom operating temp of 14'...
so, the problem must be with the car.

So I get my battery tester (can't find my multi-meter), set it to 12v,
hook the leads up to the connection in the car - 12v, no problem.

This morning, I reconnect the radio to the power in the car, and I can
hear it ticking... like its almost going to think about firing up, but...
it doesn't happen.

The setup is simple, its fed from the battery with a 30amp relay that
trips off the fuse box when the car is turned on. 12v coming in... but
it won't turn on, so I think to myself... 'no amps?'.

At this point, my slowly decaying knowledge of electronics starts to
flounder... but obviously its not the wiring because the current is
getting there, and not the relay for the same reason. Any ideas?
Could it be as simple as a bad connection somewhere? Thought I'd get
more knowledgeable thoughts on it before I start to tear things apart
out in the cold.

Thanks for any input...

Richard
N0TZC
Old January 28th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article , RJValenta wrote:
[...]

You would have to measure the voltage with the radio fired up. See if you can measure somewhere
with everything connected. I am suspecting the relay, it might also have a voltage issue
feeding the coil. If the relay is handy, try bridging the contacts.

greg
Old January 28th 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The ground.
Check the grounding of the radio.
If you have 12V at the radio try sticking the meter ground probe right
on the radio and measure the 12V again.

Good luck and good hunting.

-Bob
AD7OT
Old January 28th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

RJValenta wrote:
[...]

I see some others have already answered but here is my $.02 worth-

1- First place I would check is the relay. Possibility the contacts
have become corroded. Check voltage on both sides of the contacts under
load. If you can access the contacts, clean them with fine grit
sandpaper or a jewelers file (be sure to disconnect the circuit from the
power source when doing this).

2- Check your ground to the radio. The radio should NOT be getting its
ground for power via the antenna shield. The ground lead to the power
connection should have a good clean connection with the vehicle chassis.

3- Check any fuses that are directly inline with the radio. Check the
fuse contacts as well as the fuse itself. I have seen some glass fuses
that appeared intact, but were open near one of the metal ends. I have
also seen some the ATC and ATO type fuses get oxidation and gunk built
up on the contacts. They would read "normal" voltage with a VOM until
you put the circuit under load.

4-Check the contact point where the high current line ties into the
battery. Make certain there is no oxidation or sulphation built up at
this point.

Andy
WD4KDN
Old January 29th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Does it do it with the car warmed up and the engine charging the
battery? With the engine running, what is the voltage at the radio
feed to the nearest 1/10 of a volt? I assume you have decent gauge
wiring from that relay to the radio. I would recommend 12-gauge as a
minimum. I use 4-gauge to a feedpoint under the seat, then the stock
Icom power cable from there.

Dick - W6CCD

Old February 1st 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The setup is simple, its fed from the battery with a 30amp relay that
trips off the fuse box when the car is turned on. *12v coming in... but
it won't turn on, so I think to myself... *'no amps?'.

no amps unless you can get the 13.8 volts. I would check the voltage
when the radio is turned on. are you going into the cigar lighter???
direct feed. sounds like an open ground lead somewhere. check across
the radio terminals NOT positive to the car ground.

good luck